iOS 14 Stackable Widgets

Looks like they’re just read only, which to be honest when it comes to a banking app that would be fine, as I don’t really see a reason why you would want an interactive widget, in terms of Monzo at least.

2 Likes

Yes, exactly. Or a banking/finance stack.

2 Likes

To be honest I’d just prefer if the Left To Spend feature worked for me, but because I don’t get paid once a month but rather once every two weeks, it won’t work for me until Monzo decide to implement that.

In terms of a widget, something more useful for me would be maybe a widget that shows how much spending money I have (i.e. money in the main account, not in a pot)
Though I realize that there’d be a bit of wasted space there for only one data point, so maybe as a secondary you could have a smaller number that shows the balance of a specified pot (like savings/pennies for instance)

I love the style of the mockup already though! Good job

2 Likes

You can change your period to a custom figure, so rather than monthly you can see it to a weekly basis, I know that doesn’t work well with you being paid fortnightly but it may be a better option than having it set to monthly or by the first day of the month?

Hopefully this is something Monzo can implement though as a lot of people don’t get paid monthly.

Managed to find a bit of time to quickly put something together, but am I right in saying its like the below?

!

!

You would be able to specify on your widget what pot or account to show, then you can stack as many as you want to allow you to scroll through on the widget?

(In hindsight I probably should have changed the balance on the pots widget for clarity but I don’t have the Apple SF fonts on this PC)

4 Likes

Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking! Thank you for the concept!

The only change I would make is that I’d have the chosen background of the pot take up the whole widget. Take for example how this motivation widget has done it in this pic. See how the picture is the background of the widget, with the text on top.

Whether this would work in practice is a different question, the design you have given is very clear and gives the exact information needed.

Having every pot as a widget and being able to scroll through them, as well as the smart widget perhaps selecting the one that has either most recently changed, or has the highest balance, would be amazing.

1 Like

I don’t think it would really work, not when you have critical data that could be lost amongst a background. Also if you do have your current/joint account as a widget you would only see the card.

I’d imagine if they did ever implement they would just do it as you’d see it in the app, although I do like the idea of having it widget wide! :blush:

Replying to this to bump it up to the top of the discussions, if anyone has any other widget ideas let me know and I can put something together.

Hope this isn’t too annoying a bump but I would really love a widget for iOS 14.

Just a balance / daily spend type thing like the old one. Nothing crazy.

Monzo :pleading_face::pray:

11 Likes

Update: maybe in iOS15? :rofl:

4 Likes

:crossed_fingers:

There’s now a privacy mode on widgets, so that they can obscure sensitive information when displayed on the Lock Screen vs. the Home Screen.

Just in case that was the blocker :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

There’s an Apple Card widget in the beta for iOS 15.4.

I really hope Monzo create a new style iOS widget and retire the old swipe left one :crossed_fingers:

If anyone new comes across this thread and wants to see this, remember to vote at the top of the thread :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

iOS 17 then… sigh…

Monzo isn’t the nimble tech innovator any more.

All the newest stuff has been more on the fin side of fintech, losing what differentiated them in the first place.

N26 was really the only one to embrace all the new system level features each year. I miss them for that.

Monzo even started scaling back their system specific features and removed them. Siri payments and balance checks are gone. And with N26 no longer in the U.K., that leaves Barclays as the only British bank to integrate with siri.

All of which is to say don’t hold your breath.

3 Likes

First Direct did for a while, not too sure if it still does

1 Like

Looks like they did but not anymore.

Barclays are the only one who still any documentation:

1 Like

It’s a shame there’s not another app that can do it in lieu of Monzo doing it. Maybe my interpretation of it was wrong, but I thought ‘open banking’ would open up all this and remove these kinda roadblocks.

1 Like

Isn’t open banking just opening up the communication between banks through a centralised API, rather than opening up banks to Apple and other third parties?

1 Like

You might be right, I’m probably just wrong in my estimation.