IOS 14: can't log in / Magic link not working

I’m having the same issue since this morning. Can’t log in at all :expressionless:

I’m on iOS 14 but not on TF for Monzo. It’s odd because nothing has been updated, so far as I know, it just logged me out randomly.

What’s the email for support? I’m not able to call at the moment.

1 Like

help@monzo.com

1 Like

I just logged in on another phone and transferred some funds over to my NatWest account for the time being.

Oddly, I got a notification on my phone that the transfer happened. While logged out of the app.

I can confirm the same issue, I did a clean install of iOS Beta 14 (Dev 6) today and went to install Monzo on both an iPhone XR and an iPad Pro 3 (2018), and can’t login with either.

The workaround that @Chapuys mentioned by using the oldest Testflight version 3.36.0 and then upgrading normally from the App Store worked like a charm!

That issue is separate @kolok :eyes:

1 Like

I’m afraid that the Monzo app isn’t fully compatible with the iOS 14 beta just yet.
Our engineers are aware of a crash when the Monzo app is put into the background that may affect your ability to login.

We’re expecting that we’ll have this fixed within the next 2 weeks.

In the meantime, to restore access to your app, could you try reverting back to the latest public release of iOS 13 and log back into the Monzo app?

Alternatively, if you’ve got another device like a tablet, you should be able to log into that device as long as it’s not running iOS 14.

I’ve asked the team to look into the workaround mentioned by @Chapuys :smiley: Thank you :hot_coral_heart:

2 Likes

Appreciate it’s a beta so it’s to be expected.

I like iOS 14 too much to downgrade so NatWest it is for a few weeks! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Same issue here on latest iOS beta. On current production App Store version would go through the process of sending an email, open up email client and click the link but then would just get dropped back to the Monzo splash screen with the fancy background video.

Restoring to 3.46 TestFlight and then upgrading back to App Store version works fine for me.

2 Likes

It is to be expected with ios14 but two weeks to fix something like this is poor form. Ohh how I miss the days that one of the engineers would have jumped on this and patched it, releasing a temporary fix outside of the normal release schedule

3 Likes

Nope I am also on iOS 14 and the link is not working for me I have tried several times the app was working fine for the last week tho I now can’t acces my money

It’s a beta OS so it’s part of the parcel when signing up for them, which is why the advice is not to install them on your daily driver phone.

It’s an annoyance when your banking app fails, but it’s just what it is at this stage.

2 Likes

not to be pedantic , but " I now can’t acces my money " - presumably your card still allows you to pay using the card , until you run out of funds in your main CA , you can also presumably access the web account feature so you know how much you have in your CA ?

2 Likes

I think 2 weeks is an upper estimate tbh.

tl;dr in my experience bug fixes on complex systems are rarely simple patches

I genuinely don’t whether you have any knowledge of software dev but I think one common misconception anyone can have is that most bugs can be fixed by tweeking a couple lines of code when half the time it can be rewriting a section of codebase and changing internal logic to avoid the bug from happening in the first place.

This is especially the case with large systems where every change has knock on effects. Given that this is a banking app I’d like to think it’s tested pretty rigourously so any bugs that do surface are fundamentally difficult to spot (and fix)

Unfortunately, there’s very little way to know whether it’s the first type of fix or the second until you get into it. It could be fixed tomorrow or next week, or it could take even longer if necessary.

3 Likes

I’m not trying to be funny here but not having a fallback or been able to verify in the app it’s you and requiring the email link be clicked is pretty mad. This bug has now locked me out of my monzo app and there is no way to get back in and I am not about to restore my phone which takes hours.

Surely there has to be a workaround for this?

Thank you so much for this workaround - worth noting for anyone else, this beta expires in 4 days

Beta 346 works fine which was the last update!

1 Like

taken from Apple Beta — FAQ

Please note that since the public beta software has not yet been commercially released by Apple, it may contain errors or inaccuracies and may not function as well as commercially released software. Be sure to back up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and your Mac using Time Machine before installing beta software.

Install the beta software only on non-production devices that are not business critical.

:confused: You can’t really be mad at Monzo for a bug in a prereleased operating system - you knew the risks when you downloaded it

5 Likes

I’m not mad at Monzo because of iOS 14, I’m saying that as a designer, I think it’s pretty mad that there is no workaround in the app to verify yourself. What if your email goes down and you need to make an emergency payment?

You should be able to either…

1. Verify by sms (as per most apps)
  2. Verify via security questions
  3. Be given a number to ring

I’m fully aware of the risk that comes with beta software, I work for a software company and I am testing beta products every day. I’m questioning the UX of the login screen, which has flaws highlighted by this iOS 14 bug.

2 Likes

Oh ok, I misunderstood your point my mistake

1. SMS definitely wouldn’t be secure because it’s worryingly easy to spoof a phone number or ‘steal’ someone else’s SMS. It was never designed bro be a secure communications method and the fact that so many companies use SMS for two factor authentication is also really worrying.

2. Security questions can be known by relatives or close friends, or a bad actor who is phishing someone.

3. Phone number could work, tho I’m not sure how it could be authenticated and linked back to the app.

Your point stands tho, would be interesting if Monzo could implement a secondary authentication method. I might do some digging and suggest it as a feature.

Totally understand security is key here but email is also flawed and can be hacked and there is a huge dependant on another service not going down. Advanced options like Google Authenticator could be an option too.

I trust Monzo to come up with a slick method to workaround this - but the one route in is certainly not ideal

1 Like