Introducing Salary Sorter and Bills Pots šŸŽ‰

At the moment on pay day, I move the amount needed to my bills pot, and move remaining money in or out of savings depending on how big my credit card bill is so that I start the month with a set amount of spending money left for my balance.

It would be amazing if in the future, connected credit card bills could be anticipated so this could be automated.

Whilst this solution isnā€™t perfect, itā€™s much improved for me. I used to have 3 accounts and move all the money around manually one at a time. My next salary and all my bills will be in Monzo so this is a great feature.

If there ever is a day when it does it completely automatically, Iā€™d like the option for that to be off but still remember what I did last month. Whilst my salary is regular each month, I donā€™t always want to divide it up the same way.

1 Like

My subscription payments e.g. weekly milk delivery costs are no longer appearing as a reduction in my budget (e.g. groceries) is that correct? They have always appeared in the budget before.

This may be a bug that has already been reported but summary on top doesnā€™t account for a future payment expected to come out of a bill pot - thereby showing an incorrect ā€œleft to spendā€ amount.

1 Like

Advance knowledge should be something easy to establish from the history of the payments, particularly when they are always coming out of the account at the very same day of the month.

I selected a payment in, before it had Sort Salaryā€¦ I today made a pot and went to move that money in.

App crashed and now I am unable to select that payment as a salary sort.

No, it doesnā€™t have to be BACS.

1 Like

I think there are just as many examples where guessing the CPA schedule is as likely to be incorrect as it is correct.

Iā€™d honestly prefer the position where Bill Pots work on 80% of my bills, than manage to get it dramatically wrong for CPAs.

As an example, I used to have PayPal linked as a CPA type payment - given the nature of PayPal - thereā€™s not way they could predict this appropriately - and Iā€™d rather they didnā€™t try to.

Iā€™d prefer to have card subscriptions work differently, with money taken from my main account and then refunded instantly from a pot.

1. Card payments and subscriptions are likely to be small payments, Ā£1-Ā£20 unlike direct debits and standing orders, which can be much larger.

2. Iā€™m not going to have Ā£0 in my main account, there will be sensible spending money in there.

5 Likes

:point_up: This is the best idea for a CPA - let it be paid from the main account (as is done now) and then move the same amount from the assigned Bills pot into the main account immediately after it has been paid.

5 Likes

I disagree, subscriptions can be more than Ā£2k and I am sure other people have this because Iā€™m not the only tenant with my current landlordā€¦ Who I checked with them, they said thatā€™s the only way they take rent payments.

Anyone whoā€™s in favour of supporting subscription payments into bills pots can vote for this here:

Disagree with what? I didnā€™t say all subscriptions were smallā€¦ so I have no idea what your point is.

Paying rent via a card subscription is pretty rare in the UK, so again, youā€™re not really saying anything against my point.

2 Likes

I disagree with this because card subscriptions can be more than Ā£1000 in certain scenarios (which they are in my case) so your statement is not really accurate.

Okay, do you know what ā€œlikelyā€ means?

8 Likes

Do you know what ā€œnot really accurateā€ means?

Do you know what ā€œkeep on topicā€ means? :joy:

7 Likes

Conversation at its best :rofl:

(sorry, off-topic)

Iā€™ve seen a few people say this but I donā€™t really understand the point of itā€¦ To me it seems the opposite of the point of the bill pot for most people who requested it, i.e. a way to put the money for your bills aside and be sure itā€™s there ready, and not worry about it for the rest of the month. If you still have to make sure you have it in your account whatā€™s the point of having it come out of the bill pot?

I wouldnā€™t expect people to be able to want to pay one off purchases from bill pots, regardless of whether they are by DD/SO or just card. Again it would defy the point of the pot, because you donā€™t know it on payday to put the money aside. It would only be for recurring payments that repeat at the same amount, on a regular date. They could maybe make it so that only committed spends (i.e. repeating payments) can be selected.

I do think that there are lots of technical challenges subscription wise though so understand it might not be plausible or, if it is, soon. Subscription payments can come out at different times of the day, and can vary in amount without Monzo being told in advance.

2 Likes

That was the point of me saying card subscriptions are usually small. I wager most people donā€™t need to worry and fret over having a spare Ā£20 or so sitting in their main account.

Itā€™s not the ideal solution, but itā€™s better than nothing, which is what we currently have. If people do need to worry about having a spare Ā£20 or so in their main account to cover a card subscription coming out (which would be instantly refunded), they donā€™t need to use it and can wait till Monzo figure out (if ever) how to make card subscriptions work like the others, whilst those that donā€™t need to worry about having Ā£20 or so in their main account can use it. I donā€™t see the downside of having this as a stopgap solution.

1 Like