IFTTT + Google Sheets + Monzo = Then what?

Quick update on my efforts to do predictive forecasting in google sheets.

Its definitely not the easiest graph in the world to read, but I have a graph that compares my current savings (blue bars) to what my forecasts from January suggest (red line). The difference between the two is shown by the yellow line. The ‘seasonality’ problem I mentioned before is still kind of present as the forecasted savings don’t quite align with my pay cycle correctly. But its something.

1 Like

I think my eyes have gone cross-eyed! Definitely nice to see some visual predictions though.

After moving away from Monzo (I went to the naughty ‘S’ word bank in Sept 2020…) I’m returning and looking back on these threads to see if I can make my Google Sheets Dashboard Monzo/IFTTT friendly :smiley:

3 Likes

Before I go off trying to fix this and inevitably break more things in the process, has anyone else’s Google Sheet just stopped updating this evening?

With it being payday I’ve made a bunch of transactions in the last half hour and none of them are showing up. Odd.

1 Like

Alright there’s definitely something strange going on. Lots of transactions decided to show up overnight, but some are still missing and lots of them are in the wrong order on the sheet (no sorts/filters applied).

1 Like

For anyone interested, I spoke to Monzo about this and they’re aware of the issue. It’s down to some internal work they’re doing and it’s likely to be delayed for the rest of the day. Really informative response from the team too which is great to see :raised_hands:t5:

7 Likes

Another chart (that I probably don’t need)

My savings have taken a bit of a battering lately (holiday/home improvements) so now I want to just get back ahead of 2020!

3 Likes

Inspired by this…

I can tell you that mine is not £9.54! George needs to go outside.

Something else to track anyway.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Considering the other topics have been auto-closed, this is probably the most appropriate place for this.

Has anyone found a way to automatically pull Amex transactions into Google Sheets when you use iOS yet?
I was previously using the Android method, but for reasons I won’t go into here, I’m now on iOS and in making the switch I’ve lost my automatically updated balance and combined Monzo and American Express transaction data in Google Sheets.

I was going down the path of using the weekly statement balance email American Express can send you if you opt in to compare my card balance to my pot balance and then move the appropriate amount each week. I did all the groundwork, but then realised that you can’t automatically forward emails to IFTTT without a verification email being sent to the forwarding address that can’t be retrieved.

So now I’m looking at alternatives. I’m wondering if getting hold of a Raspberry Pi and running Android on that could work? Maybe I should just get hold of a cheap android phone or tablet and leave that running? Or are there services out there that plug into the Open Banking data Amex make available and could potentially be used to bring transactions over to Google Sheets?

3 Likes

Can someone help with a formula please :pray:

I want to monitor (with the aim of cutting down) spending on lunches and things when at work.

Could someone help with a formula that will get the total spend from ‘Eating Out’ each day into a format like the below:

This Week Last Week 2 weeks ago 3 weeks ago 4 weeks ago 5 weeks ago 6 weeks ago 7 weeks ago 8 weeks ago
Monday £0.00 Monday £0.00 Monday £0.00 Monday £0.00 Monday £0.00 Monday £0.00 Monday £0.00 Monday £0.00 Monday £0.00
Tuesday £0.00 Tuesday £0.00 Tuesday £0.00 Tuesday £0.00 Tuesday £0.00 Tuesday £0.00 Tuesday £0.00 Tuesday £0.00 Tuesday £0.00
Wednesday £0.00 Wednesday £0.00 Wednesday £0.00 Wednesday £0.00 Wednesday £0.00 Wednesday £0.00 Wednesday £0.00 Wednesday £0.00 Wednesday £0.00
Thursday £0.00 Thursday £0.00 Thursday £0.00 Thursday £0.00 Thursday £0.00 Thursday £0.00 Thursday £0.00 Thursday £0.00 Thursday £0.00
Friday £0.00 Friday £0.00 Friday £0.00 Friday £0.00 Friday £0.00 Friday £0.00 Friday £0.00 Friday £0.00 Friday £0.00
Saturday £0.00 Saturday £0.00 Saturday £0.00 Saturday £0.00 Saturday £0.00 Saturday £0.00 Saturday £0.00 Saturday £0.00 Saturday £0.00
Sunday £0.00 Sunday £0.00 Sunday £0.00 Sunday £0.00 Sunday £0.00 Sunday £0.00 Sunday £0.00 Sunday £0.00 Sunday £0.00

Super bonus points (if possible) to change the colour of the cell if it is lower on that day compared to the same day on the previous week.

1 Like

Like this?

I’ve added it to a tab on the dashboard called “Lunches” but you can use it to monitor your RSPCA spend…

Change the date at the top along with your chosen category and then the graphs will self populate. You’ll have to change the date weekly so it’s the most recent Monday. There will be a formula for it so you can do the Monday automatically, I’ll have a look later on.

4 Likes

OMG you legend :bowing_man:

I already had the formula for this, so here you go:

I’ve copied it all over, matched the name of my “master sheet” but I think my columns must be a bit different to yours.

What are the column names in this formula please so I can alter it to match:

J = Local amount
G = Category
B = Date

They should be standard ones

1 Like

Perfect, thanks! All working and looking good :heart:

No more spending a small fortune on meal deals + extras with the odd Just Eat thrown in there :speak_no_evil:

2 Likes

Looking at mine, it looks quite good when it looks like three weeks ago/six weeks ago were £0 on lunches, and probably only a meal deal in weeks four/five.

Until you realise those are the only days I’ve been in the office! :smiley: Any day at zero is because I’ve been at home. I used to be so much better about prepping for the week but now I go in probably once a week, it feels easier to buy something. Must. Stop!

1 Like

This what I want this sheet to kick me into doing.

I’ve also been skipping breakfast so by lunchtime I’m starving so I buy half of Tesco!

3 Likes

If you’re really keen you can map time and value of your lunches and track weekly work lunch expenses;

1 Like

There isn’t much correlation between later and a higher spend over a traditional lunch time. But if you go early, you’re a cheap date! Is that just a breakfast snack?

It was typically lunch for two, but if I was grabbing lunch earlier then it was probably just for myself. The other weird times are at airports or in different timezones.

There are two main pink clusters of around £14 at 12:15 and at 13:15. Subway was a 15 minute walk from work back in pre-pandemic days.

Thankfully we’re both now working from home most of week, but that lunch expense was just added to our grocery spend;

The spike last month was going to a fancy restaurant as a treat and blowing nearly all of our monthly food budget haha.