If you haven't moved over, what's stopping you from making Monzo your main bank?

I agree, but it would be nice to know something, even if it’s ‘being worked on’, ‘in progress’ or even ‘it won’t be till next year’ at least there’s and update and we know where we all are etc. And if they updated us it may just cut down on half the feeds on the forum too and help a lot of people understand what’s going on

1 Like

It has been a long while since we’ve had an update, so one would be nice :+1:

On the flip side, part of the committed spending pot functionality was found hidden in an Android app tear down. Without this none of us would know it existed.

I say this because Monzo “technically/officially” haven’t announced anything. Generally when they do it is through the Making Monzo channel so this might also be why it is very quiet :man_shrugging:

1 Like

:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yeah I saw earlier, didn’t take them long to respond :grin:

Who’d have thought that Monzo read peoples comments on here :scream:

2 Likes

My only bugbear with the app is still the hierarchy of the list of transactions. To me, the day / date just doesn’t stand out when it’s in the same colour as the rest of the list. It needs to be a more recessive colour, maybe smaller font size.

Also, the ‘total spend per day’ feels strange to me… as there’s STILL no relation to how much my balance was at any point during each transaction. THAT is the biggest failure of Monzo right now, and the main reason why I haven’t gone Full Monzo.

1 Like

I think having a rolling total alongside everything else the home feed is trying to show you would come across a little bit messy. Why do you need to know what you were on before if you can just add the “spent today” figure with the current balance figure?

If you want a transaction by transaction breakdown (which includes running totals) you can always obtain a statement.

1 Like

For me, it’s:
‘always having a constant knowledge of how much my balance is in relation to everything going out’

Rather than:

‘How much have I spent today, or yesterday, or this month’

Because I like every transaction to be attached to my rolling total… to me, it seems like it’s counter-intuitive for a company that’s trying to educate the user about understanding money, but then make customers more detached from the actual rolling total
in their bank?

But don’t you have that with a daily “spent today”? Having a transaction feed that has the merchant, logo, cost of the transaction and then the affect on your total balance when the total balance is already at the top seems a bit of an overload to me.

If I ever wanted to see my play by play on balance I’d grab a statement (which is just accessible through app not CS or anything like that).

Sure, I take your point, but if you’re getting instant notifications at every transaction, and can immediately check the affect on your balance after every transactions - is a play by play really needed?

You’ll notice that as you scroll through the feed, all you get is a ‘per-day’ spends total. Your total balance at the top disappears out of sight which takes the only visible reference of what your balance is away from view.

So… having a rolling balance total just makes sense. It saves having to glance up, scroll back to the top to see it, calculate the difference etc.

Having that inextricable link between spends and balance just makes your money more tangible.

1 Like

Monzo need to create a committed spending pot to ring fence direct debits… committed spending does not show in the balance until after the amount has been debited

I feel like this is a bit of a ‘this is how it used to work and i’m used to it’ thing rather than it actually being better. I don’t really understand what’s gained having a running total in terms of helping you financial education. All that having a running total really adds is a ‘how fast have I been spending since payday’ gauge (which requires some manual working out still to figure out from these figures), and that is much better fulfilled by the summary information IMO. Seems to me like a bit of a hanger on-er from balancing your chequebook days. Maybe i’m wrong though everyone views their finances differently.

Currently being built

1 Like

Interest on Current account. Currently use Santander and get 1.5% interest and £1000/day cash withdrawals which when I actually use cash is very handy.

2 Likes

I see my balance as a key reference point. The most important thing. So in my mind, everything should relate back to it.

Money being spent is not worthwhile if you have no overall balance for money to be spent. And that is where the detachment towards money is occurring, in my opinion. It also stands to reason that having a bank account isn’t necessarily just for users to
cut back on ‘spends’, or understand ‘spends’.

I use it as a reference tool for how much my overall balance is at any given time.

But a constant reference to what has been spent and what you balance was pre and post that expenditure feels like a doubling up of effectively the same information?

What good is a constant reference to a previous balance if you have already spent since that figure? I’m not sure I quite understand what that figure being front and centre on every transaction does to help? Surely seeing the “you spent £x” is far more beneficial?

I am slowly converting to #fullmonzo now but I cannot completely get rid of my main high st. bank until I have confidence that we won’t have downtime like we are currently suffering from.

Don’t know which highstreet bank you’re with mate, but they have downtime as well but just don’t let anyone know unless most/all their customers are having the same issue, so monzo are actually doing everyone a favour and being open about what is happening and not just leaving people in the dark with thy something isn’t working :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Ha! Clearly polarising views…

I wasn’t bashing Monzo at all, trust me, i’m a massive fan of everything they do!

I was purely stating that it is the only thing stopping me having just one bank, Monzo, I’ll always have to have another bank/payment method.

You’re probably right.

My experience is a little different, though. I’ve been using Chip and Pin and contactless debit and credit cards ever since it was possible to do so. I’ve been using Monzo for the vast majority of my card spending only since January this year. I’ve had more card declines and other issues with Monzo in that time, than with any other bank in my entire banking history.

It’s only since I started using Monzo, that I’ve felt it essential to ensure that I have an alternative method of payment; previously it had always felt a bit belt and braces to carry two cards.

For full disclosure, the problems I have experienced with Monzo been very few, just far more than with any other bank, and I’m sure that plenty of others haven’t had issues.

Also, in over 40 years of banking, Monzo is the only bank I’ve had to make a complaint to.

1 Like