Huawei Mate X (Foldable phone)

Huawei have just released their version of a foldable phone. No price details yet, and only demoed showing the home screen, but on first glance this looks like a step up from the Samsung effort:

I think I’ll definitely be hanging on to my trusty OnePlus 5 until a mature (and affordable) foldable comes along.

2 Likes

$1950.

Looks like a prototype. Folded it’s too small to have a nice screen, open it’s an odd ratio for a tablet.

Technically a step forward but fail to see why anyone would put up with the compromises you’d need to accept as a user.

Some might. I doubt the masses will. IMO.

2 Likes

Same as Samsung? Do you have a link - i couldn’t find the price or release date (from an admittedly cursory google)!

To answer my own question, it’s another ouch moment. From BBC News:

The Mate X has been priced to start at 2,299 euros ($2,600; £1996) and is due to go on sale from the middle of this year.

However, the biggest gasps came right at the end - when he announced the price tag. At 2,299 euros, even the hardcore enthusiasts appeared to wince.

1 Like

Two grand for a phone? :astonished:

3 Likes

And we all thought breaking the 1k boundary was bad :scream:

1 Like

Are you joking? That’s like the biggest screen on a mainstream phone rn. 6.6"

1 Like

Fair, just going by that screenshot which looked smaller when I viewed it on my phone.

Still. Feels gimmicky to me but that’s just me.

Not just you @gmclean :grin:

2 Likes

Everyone said tablets were a gimmick initially (“who will want this”, “who needs a screen smaller than a computer but bigger than a phone” e.t.c.). Looks cool to me I can definitely see it taking off in a year or two.

I think that at least this one seems to fold the ‘right way’ having a full screen on the outside makes this more compelling to me than the Samsung offering.

It does seem to make the ‘fold’ even more obvious though.

Either way I won’t be buying either of them. I just don’t see the use case but I’m sure there’s some out there that will love it.

3 Likes

Just wait till apple release theirs in 2 years and it starts at £4999.00!! :joy:

3 Likes

Wow, only took 18hs for that comment to appear… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Not taking the price into consideration this is 100% a step up on the Galaxy Fold IMO.

1 Like