Honest Mobile

Came across the following, thought folks might be interested, as everyone has mobile these days, I have signed up myself.
Honest Mobile, a new mobile operator starting up soon - “building a better mobile network together”

Feel free to use my referral link:

1 Like

It’s quite expensive

3 Likes

Looks like they’ll be using more than one network somehow

Honest uses more masts than any single UK mobile network.

They are promising EU roaming forever, and as far as I know, the only U.K. network to do this is Three :man_shrugging:

They seem to be advertising the Ofcom mandated text-to-switch service as a feature of themselves. They’ve even stuck their own marketing name on it, “QuickSwitch”. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It’s not a good start on the honesty front. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

If you go to their page for business users (https://business.honestmobile.co.uk/), it has the EE and O2 logos. Could be a using both of these providers?

Also the price might confirm this kind of setup, as if you look up any multi network setup they usually have quite expensive plans.

1 Like

They have updated the faqs - it looks to be Three as their main provider and then EE and O2 as auxiliary suppliers. You need a Bolton to use them though.

1 Like

Here’s one:

Wait. What? Not that sort?

Oh, a bolt-on…

I’m presuming that comes at a cost so the main benefit they’re marketing— the best network coverage—isn’t included in the standard product? :thinking:

Honestly. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

Uploading: D9F635B1-F06C-4896-9553-936B0DA11557.png… I have been using it for the last few days. There’s pros and cons . It is pricey for the package they are offering . They are using 3, O2 and EE network. It changes between this 3 network depending on coverage at that area. I am getting variable download speeds at the moment .

For example during peak hours I can get 80mbps on EE but with honest mobile speed is capped at 20mbps on EE .

During non peak hours I am getting the same speed for both 3 on my home broadband using 3 and using the honest mobile .

The beauty is you have more network option. Some area that I am working has better O2 coverage then EE or 3 and vice versa.

It’s fairly a new company and I am still giving them constructive feedback.

2 Likes

As mast sharing agreements grow especially in rural areas I see less of a value for multi carrier sims.

EE and three share masts , and O2 and Vodafone also do , so with eSims and dual SIM phones common now you realistically just need a main sim on one network and a backup sim from one of the other group.

1 Like

They seem like nice folks with good intentions.
Joined and provided some beta feedback and they were very nice and responsive.

Progress in the last few months is pretty quick too.

But, yeh, price is not super competitive. Some they need to do this to grow.
And the Three signal where my family live, where I live and where I work is horrible!

You can but the bolt on for the signal share, but as mobile devices don’t actively check which provider has the best signal, you have to manually change to another signal to avoid Three with their 1 bar service.

I’ll stick around. I’m kinda interested in how they will progress

1 Like

Same here. They are very responsive in replying back. I have Been giving constructive feedback in the last one week.

1 Like

They are using 3 as their main network and you can go between O2 and EE whenever you want. If you don’t know man you any then it will just move you to another network if you just happen to go out of coverage for over 30 seconds on their home network. In my experience it will go and find an EE signal first and then and O2 signal. As of next yeah the network but also let you access Vodafone and 5G all phone networks. I have a business plan with them and I get unlimited data for little over £40 a month I’m extremely happy with them

Just signed up to Honest, been meaning to switch providers :slight_smile: I am not much of a fan of “buy us because we’re sustainable, we do carbon offsets” when i could buy a cheaper product, donate for the carbon offset myself and get the tax benefits :see_no_evil:

however! I think for the price point it is competitive to some places like Giffgaff, and I get a 10% discount from being referred :sweat_smile:

There’s no contract either, so if I can find a better option I’ll move :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you still with Honest Mobile?

I’ve seen they’ve got a new crowdfunding round for a “smart sim” which will be a eSim, that switches between networks. And they’re looking to add visual voicemail etc.

Just switched to Honest Mobile from EE - I got a referral code from Reddit which gave me £35 worth of credit (you still have to pay for your first month). So I’m going to run two sims for a few weeks, check the signal of Honest and then complete the switch if I’m happy with it. But ultimately, it’s a B Corp, carbon negative, simple to use company, with fair prices that don’t increase each year (in fact they come down each month until you end up with 30% loyalty discount)

The price is higher than the likes of Smarty, but what the company stand for (in my opinion) makes it worth it.

You can check in app, if a number you’re about to call is premium. It will give you the free alternative if it knows. The app suggests this automatically after the call (via push notification) too. They also send notifications if you’re not using enough data to make the most of your current plan, and can recommend switching down to a cheaper plan.

They offset your own carbon footprint of using your phone, and you can opt into an extra £1 a month if you want to plant additional trees (albeit, from deep within the settings menu. This isn’t forced open you)

But for me, the lack of a yearly price increases, and free EU roaming is the biggest reason I started to search for an alternative after EE & BT both put their prices up this year. (I have also now switched to Zen for my broadband for similar reasons to the above)

I’ll update with speed / network comparisons if anyone actually cares :joy:

3 Likes

I had another brief look, still not hugely competitive for me - I just went back to EE and managed to get 20GB for £10.80 a month, that plan would be way more with them.

Other than that, looks nice but I can’t see them lasting, hopefully that isn’t the case as you never know

1 Like

That is a decent price, I just really stopped liking the way they go about business. I was with EE for 9 years (and still am actually, my wife doesn’t want to swap until I’ve tried Honest for a few months haha)

Their sim-only contracts are so confusing. Did you know that they cap the speed of some of their “5G Plans” to 25mbps? It’s their “no frills” plan, but you may as well still be on 4G at that point.

Or they put you on a 24 month contract, which will see 2 price increases in that time.

1 Like

Lyca are quite good and use EE, but the roaming is limited to 5GB

Best SIM Only Deals, Unlimited Data Plans, Lyca Mobile UK

20gb is £5 on a 30 day rolling - they don’t cap speed

1 Like

I got 100gb for £8.99 I think, 12 months with Lyca.

1 Like