Hide Transactions in Monzo app

I think this is a pretty legitimate want/need. Let’s say you’ve purchased something from, say, a sex toy shop. If you’re showing Monzo to a friend or something (which, of course, we do all the time), I can imagine you might not want the risk that they see the transaction.

Or perhaps you’ve gone to a gay bar but you’re not out. And you don’t want the (potentially very significant) risk of that being seen by a parent or whatever.

I do think the posts in this thread are tending more towards telling the OP that they’re wrong for wanting this, rather than perhaps considering why it might be useful.

12 Likes

Maybe that’s because they didn’t explain those scenarios.

Now that I understand the potential use case better, I can see why this could be useful :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The main practical issue would just be ensuring customers didn’t get confused if they forget that they’ve hidden it, and deciding where it should/shouldn’t appear.

e.g. it probably has to appear on the statement, and probably should on CSV/QIF exports, but should it appear when you search? Should there be a section somewhere where you can see all your hidden ones?

2 Likes

I can see how this could be useful but I can also see how it could be open to abuse. Tricky one this but don’t think it’s a bad idea!

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s not what OP was saying though. Those reasons I understand, and was expecting that to be raised, but OP was saying

or people who use to have a gambling addiction or for people who have mental health qnd some transactions they dont wanna be reminded of what that spent money on

1 Like

There’s only a limited number of transactions you can see on your screen so unless you scroll to look for them it’s not there looking at you anyway. Gay bar - pay cash, adult toy purchase > generally retailers are discrete
Would be very unhelpful to me as head in the sand mentality doesn’t deal with issues

I imagine if you bought an engagement ring or were planning some sort of surprise it could be useful but I have no idea how Monzo could implement it without confusion.

1 Like

it wouldnt confuse people all u would do is slide ur finger over the transaction and it hides it but it dont delete it

It’s finding it again after it’s been hidden that’s the problem &/or knowing that a transaction’s been hidden. I can’t see how to find hidden transactions in Revolut’s app.

2 Likes

I’d read that you can log out and log back in again…

I’m stilling trying to find the log out button!

Edit - Found it and it works.

When you log out and log back in, the previously hidden transactions reappear.

Yeah, not exactly fool proof then.

Imagine hiding 100’s of transactions… only to be logged out :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

well yeah cause who would keep signing out of monzo unless its by accident i doubt it that people do

I think the point is that having no way to view the hidden transactions unless “resetting everything” by logging out, isn’t a great implementation.

It would be better to have a toggle, or a place where you could review hidden transactions if you needed to.

1 Like

yeah that would be a good idea to have them somewhere case u needed to view them but for me the ones i hide i dont wanna see again

1 Like

I see you look at your finances like my wife looks at me.

Hoping she can hide me away never to be seen again.

2 Likes

What does the pulse do when you hide a transaction? It can’t just drop without showing you why in the feed?

I agree this has some validity as a function btw I just don’t know how you do it. Maybe you could move transactions to a pot or something.

it wouldnt have to affect the pulse as u aint deleting the transaction ur just hiding it

Sometimes I’ve had to sign in and out to access a newly released feature flag

1 Like

I still think you’d just be better running a second, secret account in all the gay bar/sex toy scenarios, as was mentioned above.

In fact, why not Revolut as it’s not a real bank account?

(For the record, I don’t think either of these are ‘problems’ in the same way that gambling and mental health compulsiveness are, but I do understand the desire for discretion anyway.)

3 Likes