Here we talk about Kettles (and the occasional hot water tap)

So my kitchen kettle has come to the end of its useful life. And it’s struck me that I don’t really know much about kettles or what to look for.

So! Has anyone got any excellent kettle recommendations?

And has anyone gone fancy and replaced their kettle with one of those fancy hot boiling water tap things? Are they the future?

surprising lack of kettle emoji

2 Likes

The water is so hard here I wouldn’t pay more than £15 for a kettle, to be thrown out once the limescale takes over.

But even if I lived in a soft water area – surely a kettle is just a fancy receptacle converting electricity into heat. All of them will be equally as efficient so not sure what a £100 kettle does that a £15 one doesn’t. I’m here to be educated

4 Likes

I’m obsessed with kettles that are clear and you can see the water boiling.

I recommend ones with a Brita Filter in to combat water hardness, and regular descaling:

https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/special-categories/brita-filter-kettles

I love a kettle. I will pay more for one. I have no idea why either.

4 Likes

Actually not that surprising as many cultures don’t use them, including North Americans.

Anyway, if you have an induction hob, a hob kettle is probably the most efficient and quickest way to boil water. Also saves a plug socket.

2 Likes

Currently getting my kitchen re-done. Looked at boiling water taps. Couldn’t justify the cost and the loss of under-sink space.

Also, it didn’t sit right with me that it would constantly be keeping water hot through the day and not being used - I’m not convinced this is more energy efficient than a kettle.

However, I am in the market for a new kettle too and living in SE London have limescale galore - recommendations eagerly anticipated!

2 Likes

How much are we talking for one of those? (A friend has one: I asked him how much and he coughed and made very British noises that suggested that we should never speak of it again).

1 Like

I hadn’t thought of this. I am now deep in kettle-web:

1 Like

The Quooker ones are a few grand I think!

2 Likes

3 Likes

Some of the higher end ones were stupidly expensive (£800+ from memory).

Think I got down to c. £500 with… Fohen maybe and then gave up.

Would rather spend a bit more on handles than a tap :man_shrugging:

1 Like

This is my rock and roll Friday evening sorted :grinning:

3 Likes

I’m idly thinking about maybe getting mine done. We might need a kitchen topic.

1 Like

https://fohen.co.uk/collections/best-selling/products/fohen-flare-polished-chrome-3-in-1-instant-boiling-water-kitchen-tap-with-handheld-flexible-spout?variant=43367566082306

I don’t need this. But do I want this? Hell yeah.

1 Like

I have a very nice looking one which sits on my stovetop. I’ll be honest, I think it cost like £70 although really that was because it looks neat.

Anyway, induction boils so fast an electric kettle would feel slow to me now

2 Likes

£600 for the worlds ugliest tap :sob: although hot water on demand is cool.

Want!

1 Like

From Kettle web:

Induction kettles are time-taking

Induction hob kettles heats up slower when compared to electric kettles. So, if you are looking for a speedy kettle to boil faster, induction kettles are a lesser choice.

1 Like

You found my kettle :smile:

1 Like
2 Likes

It is a thing of beauty :grinning:

2 Likes