Heater

I am in the process of trying to source a room heater for my Mother in Law, and possibly us. Obviously I am after cost effectiveness and have come across these. Anyone on here using such a thing or can recommend better? R-

1 Like

The reviewers appear to like it. On the top setting it would be around 40p an hour under the current EPG.

1 Like

Youā€™re going to have a very difficult time finding one that wonā€™t be obscenely expensive to run this winter. Even the most efficient ones.

I wouldnā€™t recommend anything that isnā€™t a Dyson in this space personally. Iā€™ve tried a lot over the years and was never too pleased with any. I think John Lewis used to make a decent one that was quite affordable.

Whatā€™s your budget? Dyson are on the expensive end so wonā€™t be for everyone.

Wirecutterā€™s pick is unsurprisingly Vornado, and Iā€™d usually endorse their reviews, but since Brexit vornado are no longer available in the U.K.

2 Likes

What about a heating blanket instead?

Will cost less than a room heater and be more direct contact, you can get some large ones too that can act as a throw :slight_smile:

Or an oil radiator?

Tried looking for the old John Lewis space heater but it seems they donā€™t do them anymore, and wound up finding this instead.

Much more efficient than a space heater for heating a room.

1 Like

For the elderly or those with lung conditions itā€™s not a good idea to just heat your body and continue to breathe in cold air.

4 Likes

Ah I didnā€™t know that, thanks for pointing it out. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, but I donā€™t think we could run to a Dyson. R-

1 Like

Thanks, she is a very fit and mobile 87 year old. We think we need space heating more than any else. R-

1 Like

Thanks for this. We have one already. Perhaps that would be good for MIL. R-

1 Like

Oil heater only. Best optionā€¦

2 Likes

Other issue with heating blankets is that they can cause burns, especially when used by people with reduced sensation in parts of their body (such as diabetic neuropathy).

1 Like

As others have said. Oil filled radiator and / or a heated throw are your best option. If times are tough Iā€™d say heat the person not the room but be mindful of damp and mould.

2 Likes

Thanks all. I think we are going down the oil filled radiator route. R-

2 Likes

Indeed and Iā€™ve seen the result on both the person and the blanketā€¦

1 Like

Weā€™ve used several of these for camping (ā€˜glampingā€™ = tent plus electricity supply) over the years and theyā€™ve been outstanding.

Never used one within a house/building though!

I did the same thing!

I have one of these which I used in the old house to heat the ā€œofficeā€ each day. I WFH so it was essential.

Iā€™ve sinced moved so I donā€™t need it but fully recommend. It kept the room warm and it was economic too.

Something akin to this would be a good option I think.

3 Likes

Im surprised no one has raised the option of a calor gas bottle cabinet heater.
If we do get 3hr power cuts in Winter, this will be one of the few options wont it?
Are they really expensive to run?

An oil filled radiator will continue to maintain and radiate heat throughout a powercut. Certainly for one as short as 3 hours.

Donā€™t have much knowledge on calor gas heaters but I do know the bottles have increased astronomically in price. Much more significant than electricity, and the price for these arenā€™t regulated and thereā€™s no help, which is problematic in some rural places where these are the only options for heating your home, which is the situation my Aunt is in. Itā€™ll cost her ten times more to heat her home this winter than it did last winter. Thatā€™s something to bear in mind.

Gas is an expensive finite resource thatā€™s becoming increasingly scarce. Thatā€™ll be effecting the price and availability of this heating option too.

1 Like

My Uncle literally gave me one of these a couple of hours ago.

Iā€™d never heard of infrared heating panels but apparently theyā€™re a thing. Will be giving mine a go tomorrow.

Hoping it saves me :moneybag::moneybag::moneybag: compared to the oil filled radiator Iā€™ve been using in my loft up till now.