Heatwave

Is everyone ready?

3 Likes

I am, Mrs with heart condition isn’t. So I’m sticking her in the fridge :grin:

1 Like

I’m looking forward to a good pub lunch my favourite beer garden.

Mainly worried about my cat.

3 Likes

I’ve caved and bought a portable air conditioner for me and the tiny hounds. I’ll be making a fort of coldness in one room.

5 Likes

Is it a house cat or allowed to go outdoor?

Just make sure it has plenty of water and if it normally stays in the garden when it’s outdoor then perhaps spray the pavement down a bit so it wouldn’t hurt it’s paw pads from the heat

3 Likes

It’s a house cat with balcony access.

The trouble is she periodically decides not to drink water and she seems to have made that decision around Thursday.

Thankfully we’ve been shown how to administer water to her a little less optionally by the vet, but she does not enjoy this process. We did phone the vet yesterday and today and they basically said ‘please do whatever you can because we expect to be slammed with emergency appointments and won’t be able to get to her’. Hence worry…

2 Likes

Will she drink from a tap if you leave one dripping? Sometimes cats won’t drink from a bowl but will drink running water.

5 Likes

She has a fountain and three bowls and we’ve tried taps and pouring water for her, but… no she’s made the decision not to drink from any of these sources :sweat_smile:

Should have got a dog I swear they don’t do this kind of stuff…

5 Likes

Before our cat passed away at the age of 23 she used to only drink from taps/flowing water

6 Likes

23! Awww bless

3 Likes

She was a rescue one aswell, we found her dumped inside a bag as a kitten. Sadly all the others didn’t make it and she was the only one so we kept her.

No one hardly believes she was 23 so I usually have to whip out my baby pictures and you see her in the background.

6 Likes

Oh dear. Sometimes cats are just too mercurial for their own good! I wish you the best with getting her through this period.

I hope you (and other cat owners) also have access to fans and cooling pads to help get the furry beasts through this period. Anything above mid 30s is no joke, and 40 is worryingly insane.

3 Likes

I’m so happy I managed to convince the other half that it would be a good thing to do! Now we won’t have to put up with this heat. I am just upset that literally a few weeks later Lidl released a much cheaper one…

3 Likes

Aldi / Lidl always do that :sweat: you buy something then shortly after they have it as a special buy

4 Likes

This isn’t even a special buy, they seem to have their own brand air conditioner for about £100 less than the cheapest competitors

1 Like

We have a cooling pad and lots of cooler spots for her to hide. She won’t go within 15 ft of a fan though (noise! worse even than the hoover for her!). She’ll be okay because we are drip-feeding her water from a syringe - she’s urinated normally since we started yesterday - It’s just a pain and you have to do it often because you can only give tiny amounts at a time.

Agreed it’s a rough time for pets, I’m sure everyone is looking after theirs though!

1 Like

I didn’t quite manage to convince mine but I got to a begrudging “If you want to buy one then buy one” so away I went :laughing:

1 Like

When I say “convinced”, I used the word loosely. It went a bit like you describe :laughing: and is still somewhat sceptical even though it got us through the last heatwave

3 Likes

What heatwave?

7 Likes

We bought i huge fan for upstairs, mostly for the cats, and then have the og tower fan circulating the living room with the curtains closed and loads water everywhere for them.

Two black cats don’t enjoy the sun at all bless ‘em

1 Like