Heatwave

What part of the UK is that?

And can me and my family come and stay for the week?

In the last 10 years I bought two things to appease me during those summer nights.

In 2016, I got an ice machine which can make 1kg of ice in about 10 minutes. Cools me right down.

Last year I finally bought a portable air conditioner to cool my home office (or bedroom before sleep). No longer heat the from outside and/or from my computer will make my office unbearable. And I can sleep (I don’t leave it on overnight, just to bring the room temperature down before sleeping).

Luckily, it will only get to a high of 34 degrees where I live next Tuesday (32 degrees on Monday).

3 Likes

These heatwaves

34 isn’t too bad either really.

Met office is saying 37 in London Tues. Some sites are saying 40 (and some national papers 41…) but I trust the met office. Hotter in a few other places in the U.K. of course.

Today is absolutely beautiful though. 28 and a nice breeze. Tomorrow looks very pleasant too. 37 will not be a fun day by anyones standards.

1 Like

Birmingham

Last week when it was warm one of our cats would only drink from a plant pot saucer - had a few specks of soil in it as well.

1 Like

Going to be hot here especially with working in a kitchen as well!!

What’s the source? It think some weather apps have twigged the higher the number they put the more clicks and press attention they’ll get.

I’ll be interested to know where the numbers end up. Met office for contrast:

2 Likes

Personally quite interested to see how it will feel if we get to 40. I’ve experienced 46 in Egypt for about 2 weeks which wasn’t as bad as I was expecting.

But clearly will be a lot more humid here and we don’t have cool buildings.

2 Likes

WeatherPro app

1 Like

Mine was bbc weather app but apple weather saying around the same temps

1 Like

The BBC weather app and the WeatherApp pro use the same source I think (meteogroup). The Apple weather app uses meteoblue.

I don’t fully trust either from experience. I’ll track where it goes though!

1 Like

The humidity will make the temperature a whole lot worse, a lot of cloud cover forecasted in some areas.

Or maybe all, I haven’t checked.

14 degrees already. Lovely and cool to sit out in atm.

Forecast today is max 31

According to Alexa anyway :joy::joy:

Where is your source for this? I can’t find any attribution to meteoblue in the Apple Weather app. They did buy DarkSky a few years back and have been bringing it in-house slowly.

Specifically for temperature is

Data for temperature and precipitation maps is provided by Apple using information from national weather services.

They do use data from other external sources for different parts of the app and here is a list of all the sources:

Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology, BreezoMeter, Deutscher Wetterdienst, Environment and Climate Change Canada, EUMETNET – MeteoAlarm (me: could be this one?), European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF), India Meteorological Department, Instituto Nacional de Meteorologia, Japan Meteorological Agency, National Weather Service/National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), QWeather, Servicio Meteorológico Nacional, Thai Meteorological Department, The Met Office, The Weather Channel

1 Like

My understanding was always they use breezeometer for the U.K., which means for weather they use meteoblue (that’s where breezometer gets weather data from). From those sources The Weather Channel also covers the U.K. though so they may use that? Now I need to look in to it again…

I was interested only as I know Apple bought the weather app DarkSky (which was considered quite accurate) a few years back and have been slowly replacing the functions within the Apple Weather app with DarkSky’s technology since iOS 15.2 . Reading the Weather app support page they only use BreezoMeter for air quality data. Pre-iOS 15 may still use the old app. I could still be wrong.

2 Likes

My understanding is that Apple is only using the Dark Sky technology for rain prediction at the moment.

1 Like

Typical Northern Ireland weather, rain forecast most of week, and a lot cooler than south of England.

1 Like