Halifax closed my account due to suspicious activities

My halifax bank was closed in December due to fraud activities i didn’t do. Two months down the line my other account with RBS was closed and there was nothing suspicious about it. I have been trying to open an account and i have been rejected even with monzo. I have tried so many banks and they are rejecting. I need a bank account I’m a refugee in the uk and I don’t have any family here. I have got no access to funds right and i told the bank I did not do anything.what should i do guys I’m stuck. Obviously if I can’t get a bank account within 1 month I’m considering to take my own life because i have been stressed and the pain is just too much. Why do i have to live when I’m suffering from something i did not do, on top of that I’m a keyworker and i have been working throughout the pandemic saving lives. But in return i get this​:cry::cry::cry:

Hey and welcome to the community,

If you need help please call the Samaritans 24/7 on 116123, it’s free from Mobiles, Landlines and payphones.

Halifax is part of the RBS group, so if an account was closed in one it will likely be closed in the other, NatWest and Lloyds are also part of the same group.

You should try open an account in a credit union, or apply for basic bank accounts from the likes of Barclays etc

Here’s some resources

5 Likes

Okay man. I was reading other platforms and they said for basic account I’m likely to be rejected. What should i do I’m stressed really

Halifax is not part of the RBS group. Halifax is part of the Lloyds Banking Group. RBS and Natwest are in the same group.

The OP likely has a CIFAS marker.

4 Likes

As @CanadianSpruce says, this is incorrect.

Lloyds Banking Group = Lloyds Bank, Halifax, Bank of Scotland, MBNA, Scottish Widows

NatWest Group = NatWest, RBS, Ulster Bank, Isle of Man Bank, Coutts, Drummonds, Child & Co, Holts, Adam & Company

@Yaya1 Hello, welcome to the community. I recommend you check your credit reports: Experian via MoneySavingExpert Credit Club, Equifax via ClearScore and TransUnion via Credit Karma, since it sounds like you may have a CIFAS marker.

Have you tried applying for a basic bank account at a bank that is not a member of one of the two groups listed above? If that is unsuccessful, maybe try opening a ThinkMoney or Cashplus account?

Keep us updated on how it goes, we’re here to offer advice and support the best we can. Please consider contacting your local GP if you’re having suicidal thoughts, they may be able to offer counselling if you’d find that beneficial. All the best :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Yaya1 I’ve never been in your situation but if I was I’d probably try contacting the money advice service for advice.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/

2 Likes

Try the Credit Union in your local area, they tend to be more accepting. You may have to pay a small account fee but it gets you going in the right direction until something else can be sorted.

2 Likes

A credit union is likely to be your best bet. They appear to be much more accepting in these situations.

Be aware that they often have high fees where other banks do not, so just don’t get caught out.

1 Like

What have you done to try and prove your innocence?

1 Like

I have tried to contact and I’m still new to the system here. Halifax doesn’t even care that someone used my account for fraud.

Ooooh do they act like bank?
I’m still new here in the Uk, so I’m still copying with the system therefore for I don’t really know much and it’s really hard for me. I’m having bad thoughts you know :cry:

Thank you i will try to contact them

In a daily usage sense, yes. You normally have to fit a specific criteria though, normally based on the location you live/work and/or the sector you work in.

Right now I don’t care about paying fee at all i will try them

Cashplus rejected me and think money as well

If you’re innocent then you need to be focusing your efforts on clearing your name. Otherwise you’re going to struggle with all sorts of things, not just opening bank accounts.

Chase them up and get assistance from some of the places already mentioned :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi Munah

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve not been successful in applying for an account, we appreciate this wouldn’t be the answer you’d be hoping for.

We’re unable to make any changes to this over the Community as there’s not an option for us to access pre-existing accounts or applications

I’m really sorry this is causing so much distress.If you feel like it’s all getting too much and you need someone to talk to, you can speak to the Samaritans by calling 116 123, or emailing jo@samaritans.org.

You can also text SHOUT to 85258, and speak to trained advisors over text message about the way you’re feeling.Your GP may be able to help too, as well as the charity MIND.

I’ll close this Topic in the meantime and hope you’re able to reach out to tthe contacts I’ve included above :pray:

5 Likes