GoPros

Monzo community I need help,

I want to get myself a GoPro for my holiday but having checked them out on their site and amazon etc they look extremely expensive. Is it worth shopping around for a second hand one? Or perhaps there is a less well known brand that is cheaper? The only real requirements I have is that it takes good pictures and videos, is waterproof and I can transfer media to my iPhone without the need for a computer! :video_camera: :video_camera: :video_camera:

Hope you guys can help.

Ben

Out of curiosity - which GoPro have you specifically looked at ?

A lot of the off brand ones that Iā€™ve seen/used arenā€™t the greatest in quality in the video/photo let lone the build - so might work for a while but then will break, then not having customer support to help when those issue occur - or like I said the quality of the video/photo just sucks.

Another one to look out for might be the new DJI Osmo Go series (I think thatā€™s the name).

One thing that might be worth waiting for instead of going second hand would be Black Friday - amazon usual have go-pro sales on during then.

The reason to why not second hand would be the lack of warranty etc.

1 Like

I looked into the HERO7 Black, Silver and White, with White looking more for me, but still at Ā£180! And I think thatā€™s without any accessories.

Black friday is a great shout!

I had the same problem when I went travelling - I ended up getting the most recent SJCAM that was out at the time.

It can connect to your phone for immediate download/ you can obviously get a SD Card converter.

It was built well, came with a waterproof case and overall did a pretty decent job. It wasnā€™t as good a quality as youā€™d get with a GoPro but I ended up saving a couple of hundred pounds.

1 Like

That sounds more like it!

Realistically Iā€™ll only use it when I donā€™t want to damage my iPhone (which has a fantastic camera on it anyway) so it seems a bit OTT to go buying a top of the range GoPro for this sort of situation, and I canā€™t seem myself using it massively when Iā€™m home.

Iā€™ll check out the SJCAM, thanks a lot

I ended up coming to the same conclusion - it did everything I was after, time lapse, 720-1080p video and it came with an accessories pack.

It was perfect for what I needed, and Iā€™ll use it every now and then when i go back out on holiday - to shell out Ā£250+ for a GoPro just seemed silly.

1 Like

Maybe look at something like this

YI is made by Xiaomi so decent reputation, I have one of their dash cams and Iā€™m happy with the quality.

If all you know is that itā€™s ā€œfor holidayā€, youā€™ll be massively better off with a cheaper Chinese knock-off.

Unless you have a specific use case/use cases in mind, itā€™s impossible to make useful recommendations. The right camera for skydiving/sub-disciplines in scuba is massively different. What activities are you doing on holiday? Do you care about colour-grading, HDR, shooting modes, frame rates?

I am actually looking for one for Florida water parks for the rides that I can sit in with the kids to see their faces as they :poop: themselves :joy: will only be used for holiday water parks

Amazon

Or this one

1 Like

Hopefully they wonā€™t :poop:, otherwise thereā€™ll be a shut down :rofl:

There seems to be a tonne on amazon all very similar at great prices.

Should be perfect for catching the ā€˜actionā€™