Google Pixel Fold

Just for you, I’m gonna type something I haven’t typed since 2008:

Tsk tsk.

5 Likes

The 6 Pro is a great phone. Almost a year in and it’s not let me down once.

I want iPhone 14 Plus but not sure I would appreciate it as much :upside_down_face:

I remember my Google Nexus and Samsung note days, superb quality.

1 Like

I’m still using my (undamaged & perfect) Pixel 5

This phone goes against everything I usually go for, as in, screen size, and yet I’ve used it daily for 2.5 years and it’s been great. But I’m caving very quickly for the PixFold. I’m primarily a PC Laptop user, with the phone as the mobile work device#2. So never had the inkling to carry a third device just to get an in-between screen size.

But the PixFold, with stock Android, may just answer that. I’m HODL’ing (Holding OFF for Dear Life) this time, but I fear that time will come to an end very shortly.

3 Likes

It’s great hardware for sure. I just think Google do software better.

Same reason I put Bootcamp on my MacBook Pro and now it default boots into Windows 10 :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Blasphemy!

5 Likes

Neither am I. I think they look odd and I hate the idea of a crease down the middle of the screen!

2 Likes

That would be an interesting design choice…

My question would be what size is it folded. My pixel 5 is the ideal phone size for me… a folded version, fine (provided they keep the weight down also). But if folded it’s the same size as a pixel 6 then what’s the point? It’s just a large phone that unfolds into a really large phone.

TBH I’m more interested in their tablet (as much for app testing as anything else, but I miss the nexus 7…).

1 Like

Nice but I’ll pass. I’m too far down the apple hole now for me to move to anything else. I also agree it’s a solution to a problem that only exists if you think it does, for most people.

And just to add my molotov to the whole google v apple quality debate, I’ve still got iPhones that operate exactly as they did on day one, even down to battery. Meanwhile none of my previous android phones can talk to that point.

Ideally I would like an (Apple) phone that opened out to the size of my current phone (if not slightly smaller) with no crease visible or noticeable.

I’d only really want a folding phone to have a super small and slim thing in my pocket. More akin to a flip phone of yonder’s past.

1 Like

I’ll add to that molotov: I’m fairly platform agnostic but Android can be a mess and overcomplicated sometimes.

In order to get Wi-Fi Calling working on the Flip3 I bought I had to make a Bootcamp partition, download some dodgy software, tell Windows that I wanted to run it anyway because it thought it was malware, enable USB debugging on the phone, then finally use the dodgy software to change my CSC from EE (EVR) to Europe generic (EUX) because EE’s firmware blocks Wi-Fi Calling/VoLTE for other networks. It worked, but the whole thing is such a faff. Meanwhile every iPhone on the planet Just Works™️ with no messing about.

1 Like

Edit: o2 pulled the code so not available, you can still get it for 387 which is decent-ish.

Slightly off topic, stoking deal for a pixel 7 from O2 at just £287 if anyone was on the fence.

You need to select a 1 month rolling plan and use the discount code, you pay for the phone upfront and cancel the SIM straight away (within 14 days) there will probably be a credit check for the SIM but I’m unsure.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/google-pixel-7-128gb-5g-smartphone-all-colours-ps287-ps296-with-1-month-plan-code-at-o2-refresh-4130913

4 Likes

Team Apple forever, been dipping into Android many times over the last decade and always seem to end up with duds, last one being a Pixel 7 Pro that would randomly freeze and turn off.

1 Like

Is it physically possible for a battery not to deteriorate over time? My 13PM and  Watch are no way near their battery life when new.

Also. Why wouldn’t those Androids operate as they did on day one? It’s not like they’re getting updates!

3 Likes

The Tensor processor is trash for battery and if they use that same useless Samsung modem… no thanks.

Sounds like a Z Flip. Maybe not in its current state, but the obvious down the road evolution. Again, feels easy to see the value of a smaller form factor that doesn’t compromise on screen size.

Kind of like the iPhone didn’t launch as a thin edge to edge iPhone X, but evolved over many years to what we have now.

1 Like

lmfao

2 Likes

If you store them properly you can preserve them quite well! My jet black 7 was still in the high 80s last I checked (never been serviced for battery). It was my daily driver until iPhone 11 as well.

And the older phones do seem less prone to chemically aging faster. After 2 years my 12pro had less capacity left than my old iPhone 7 has now. I still think it was a dud battery, exacerbated by MagSafe, but Apple said no. But almost a year of using my 14pro exclusively charging by MagSafe, it’s still at 100% capacity. My usage has remained roughly the same.

I hope my 7 never dies. Gorgeous phone.

1 Like