Google Pixel 3 / Pixel 3 XL

No, these are the ones that come in the box, they won’t be branded.

Google will either keep selling the existing Pixel Buds separately or refresh them with a slightly new design.

I love my Pixel Buds, the tight integration with Assistant is awesome.

I think the “loop” design on the wired ones matching the Buds is great, because it means people will be used to the way they work, and then if they decide they want to go wireless, it’s an easy transition to the Pixel Buds.

I am hoping they offer earbuds without the loop, i’d like some fully wireless numbers.

I have earphones with a ‘loop’ currently, I they keep snagging when I turn my head.

https://www.t3.com/news/google-pixel-3-xl-review-with-features-pricing-camera-and-release-date-details-lands has rumours that it might be quite cheap!

1 Like

I read that a little earlier. Sounds a little too cheap to be believable but we’ll have to wait and see.

1 Like

Such a huge notch and a chin. They needed to get rid of the chin at least.

Hmm. That notch though, not a fan. But I will keep an open mind and wait for Flossy Carter’s real review.

How long does Google gurantee updates for this range?? I am really interested in the pixel 3 and will be getting one when it is released. I am coming from iOS, which was updated for years after purchase and just wondered what gurantee comes with the update to the lastest OS?

I read that the Nexus 2017 phones wouldn’t be getting Pie, so just wondered what the deal was with the pixel.

2-3 years seems to be a good bet. I’m running Pie on a Pixel 1, had access to the Alpha/Beta the same amount of time as the Pixel 2 users

Has Google committed to a timescale? I saw that the first pixel received the update, but that’s only really 2 years old.

With the current cost of phones, it’s always nice to know how long a device will receive updates. Having seen that the 2017 phones from the Nexus range not getting the update, I just fear I’ll be caught in a trap of updating my device every 2-3 years to ensure my phone is up to date.

Are there any 2017 Nexus phones? I thought the last Nexus devices were released in 2016.

Edit: The last Nexus devices were released in 2015.

1 Like

You could be right. I read this info in an article on the internet, so who knows. It states it in the second paragraph.

Trusted reviews site gets date wrong… that’s promising!

My partner has a Samsung from last year and doesn’t have an update yet. Not 100% sure she’ll ever get one either…

The days I used to bang my head waiting for Samsung to release updates. That’s what pushed me into rooting but have not done it since selling my S7 Edge.

1 Like

This is what Google say on the matter - https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705

Phone No guaranteed Android version updates after No guaranteed security updates after No guaranteed telephone or online support after
Pixel 2 XL October 2020 October 2020 October 2020*
Pixel 2 October 2020 October 2020 October 2020*
Pixel XL October 2018 October 2019 October 2019
Pixel October 2018 October 2019 October 2019

With Pixel 2 getting three years support, I would be surprised if Google drop that to two years support for the Pixel 3, so my guess would be that the Pixel 3 will get three years worth of Android updates.

2 Likes

Google’s update policy is a joke. They want to charge iPhone prices but only give 3 years support.

It may be good for Android but it’s not exactly setting a shining example. Especially given that with treble it’s supposed to now be trivially easy to update devices. If they can’t be bothered to keep their four phones updated why should anyone else?

1 Like

I think 3 years is reasonable. Most people aren’t keeping their phones for that long anyway.
And they also aren’t charging iPhone prices. Pixel 2 XL at launch was what? £799? Compared to £999 for the iPhone X?

Sure, Apple can support for longer, but they are also in the position of making their own processors, which I expect Google will eventually start doing (their hiring indicates that they are doing this, and the Pixel 2 shipped with a custom camera processor that Google built that sits separately from the main CPU)

2 Likes

The notch though, I want to like notches, but I don’t. :frowning: Then again I hated my note curved screen for a long time. Love it now …

1 Like

Maybe not tech enthusiasts like us but a lot of people certainly do keep their lower end smart phones for longer than 3 years. Especially due to the rising prices of higher end smart phones

3 Likes

Bit of a selective comparison there. My 4 year old £400 iPad Air 2 is still getting updates and 5 years seems like a general minimum for any iOS device.

Three years isn’t bad but why shouldn’t Google be held to a high standard? £800 is a hell of a lot of money for a phone and 3 years isn’t enough.

I don’t generally keep my phones that long but plenty of people do. All my devices get handed down in the family and get use for a long time.

I’m not a developer but isn’t the point of treble to abstract away the SOC drivers so whether or not Google designs the processors shouldn’t matter?

2 Likes

Has the Pixel Watch leaked yet? Just so I can decide whether to save up my pennies for it? :grinning: