Goodbye Sky

Maybe. I can predict anything; except the future. :wink:

I do like the Sky coverage, and can stomach the cost while the football season is on, but the streaming quality is too poor for me. Other live streaming platforms work fine, just not Sky Sport on NowTV.

1 Like

I’ve never had Sky. I was at a friend’s and watching when adverts came on! Are you telling me they charge you AND ram ads down your throat?! My mind is :boom:

5 Likes

How much?!?!

Never, never, never pay full price for Sky. It’s well known that if you just call them they’ll throw all sorts of freebies and deals your way.

We have the full Sky Q package, including Netflix etc and pay less than half of that :scream:

1 Like

Can get an F1 TV account for $20 and a VPN to watch if all you use sky for is F1.

We ditched sky years ago, family very happy with you view - they actually prefer the guide, as going backwards and clicking on a show loads the relevant service.

I have my ways outside of sky for watching sport, though.

1 Like

We don’t even have a TV licence because the F1 really is the only live thing we (well, I) ever want to watch.

I’m making do with watching it at a mate’s house or, even better, in the pub. I could be naughty and just watch it on NowTV without a licence, but I’m a very good boy.

4 Likes

Just be naughty :sob::joy:

1 Like

That’s the problem. I did. It took 20 minutes to get through to somebody, waited another 15 minutes while they “looked through their deals and spoke their supervisor” and they could only offer me a £8 discount to what I’m already paying on the existing contract. Come April next year, that’ll more than likely go back up to near £70 again. I’ll give them another call next month (which will be the last month on contract) and will insist on cancelling and see what happens. But if they don’t bring it down further, it’s time to pack my bags.

8 years I’ve been a Sky customer which is a damn long time in this day and age. But the market has changed significantly in that time and there are better deals to be had elsewhere.

Same for us, even after treating to leave etc etc, many hours on hold nope, a slap in the face price.

Best bit was, they cancelled, confirmed it was and then charged us anyway!

We questioned, they apologised and refunded what was our money anyway.

1 Like

They did something similar to my father (who I suggested get Sky to save on costs, but good ol’ Sky has put up all the prices significantly) who tried to negotiate and was given an even higher price! He’s going to try again closer to when the contract is up for renewal. It’s a pity if he does cancel because everything Just Works™ and the broadband connection is decent.

Ahhh for it to work you have to be out of contract.

Don’t threaten them either. Just say something like “I don’t feel like I’m getting good value for money anymore and wondered if there are any deals I can take advantage of”.

I pay £4 for Netflix, I have free sky movies, half price on demand and a bunch of other stuff. I’ve been with them for over 17 years (black diamond tier) so maybe that helps as well :man_shrugging:

I then set a reminder in my phone because some are limited to 6 month - then rinse and repeat :slight_smile:

I cancelled my Sky a few years ago and I genuinely haven’t missed it for a second. Husband pays for NowTV so we can watch stuff on there if we want. Saves loads each month.

1 Like

I’ve sacked off Virgin TV and TV License this year as well as Netflix last month, all we watch is Prime Video and Disney+, saving a fortune.

1 Like

23 years with Sky here, and I’ve just checked how much they’re billing us monthly and threw up a little in my mouth. Paying £60 a month for the TV portion of the package would be an improvement on what I have at the moment :sob:

Sky Sports seems to be the biggest single part of the package, but I only really watch the F1. Not sure what scope there is for having a go at cutting that down. May have to study the landscape (that is, be prepared if they call my bluff) and try making some calls next week. :grimacing:

If you get to the point where you “have” to cancel, you have 28 days before it cuts off anyway. So then you’ve still got time to “change your mind” and stick with Sky afterall.

2 Likes

If you go through the cancel options online they might offer a better price.

Used to do it all the time in a past life.

2 Likes

Likewise, but got fed up with the hassle. Now happy with BritBox, Prime and iPlayer. R-

1 Like

I’d definitely recommend looking for a an IPTV service. I get Sky Cinema and Sky Sports (only FHD, not UHD mind you) for £70 a year, is it legal? probably not. I also get U.S TV (but it’s not the best)

Is it perfect though?

Sky is expensive but it’s actually live, not 30 seconds behind, never buffers/drops, I can record/rewind.

Mine is perfect, I just select whatever episode of whatever it is I want to watch and away it streams. Wouldn’t ever want to watch a live channel again, be it on TV or 30 seconds behind :joy:

Having said that I’ll watch news channels on YouTube live, but that’s different

If 30 seconds is bothering you then unless you’re watching old style analogue TV I’ve got bad news…