Going #FullMonzo without being able to write cheques & freely pay in cash

How long have the big four been offering post office every day banking? It seems all of the cards already have this. What is the feature which enables this?

I couldn’t care less that I can’t pay in via post office - if anything, I don’t like my post offices that are near me because of how slow and unreliable they are. Much easier to go to pay point or even better, try to go cash free

2 Likes

He doesn’t

As a Monzo employee, SimonB will of course toe the company line (in public at least) and offer alternatives. Good that he has found perhaps the only PayPoint store that knows how the machines work :rofl:

It does seem short-sighted to not have the cards allow Post Office deposits and then trot out a corporate line saying it will cost too much money to change this - feels like it was a conscious decision from day one and not one that will change.

1 Like

All cards were replaced during the prepaid-current account days?

So you think people will pay double the fee to use the post office?

The post office does not cost £2 per transaction, let’s not make things up

2 Likes

Where have you got that figure from? Literally no other bank charges a fee to deposit cash at the post office.

1 Like

I’m trying to find the post where that was mentioned nearly a year ago. As you can imagine it hard since there are so many threads and £2 is too short to search for

No, no they don’t, this has been covered many, many, many, many times

2 Likes

Let’s continue Post Office deposits discussion it’s done over here!

2 Likes

I haven’t written a cheque in a while but still get the odd one so completely understand your concern.

I imagine more and more clubs and things will start accepting bank transfers as most people my age (in their 20s) don’t use or own a cheque book

1 Like

@Reck my 2 choices would be nationwide or metro - both issue chequebooks.

I had to write my first cheque in 5 years for my daughters school - they are cashless and we pay online for everything but there was a book day where they were meeting an author and they requested cheques.
I’d forgotten how to write one initially.
My wife has looked at her cheque book - 8 cheques written since 2006.

Personally I’d be happy to see us without cheques or cash but I know this is controversial.

My emphasis. Cheques perhaps but cash isn’t going away anytime soon. Even as the proportion of transactions via cash has declined, the amount of cash in circulation has increased.

They haven’t even bothered coining more 1p and 2ps this year, because usage is declining and the cost is too high - there is definitely an incentive for governments and retailers to get rid of currency, and the less it is used, the higher that incentive is. I expect network effects will mean cash will decline exponentially, not linearly, over the next 10 years, and the cost of production and handling means there is a definitive incentive for everyone involved to move to contactless. There will be a long tail before they are officially dead, but actual use of cash will die out as quickly as cheques I think (which were widespread when I was growing up, and are now pretty much dead in the UK). For shops getting change and handling cash is a massive burden, which isn’t worth it if 90% of your customers use cards.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news/no-new-1p-and-2p-coins-produced-for-the-first-time-since-1972-and-1984/ar-AAFw5Tj?li=AAnZ9Ug

2 Likes

Hi Drew, thanks for the recommendations. I’ve actually remembered I have an old Nationwide FlexDirect account which supply cheque books on request.

Your example is exactly the sort of thing I’m talking about. I look forward to the day when cheques are gone for good. Cash on the other hand I have mixed feelings about.

1 Like

That’s not true and I agree with @kennygrant too.

The latest report from the trade body UK Finance predict that if the current decline continues by 2028 only 9% of transactions will be done in cash :slight_smile: That’s less than a decade! :exploding_head:

Incorrect.

We don’t have a “company line” and I’ve been critical when I agree that things aren’t up to scratch - our Merchant Data system springs to mind.

I’ve deposited cash twice this year into Monzo at the nearby supermarket. I could have travelled further and deposited it in Santander for free. The function meets my needs. The amount of people that use the function who almost certainly have other accounts shows I’m not the only one.

13 Likes

well said :clap:t2:

nice edit

2 Likes

Not that ill ever use the cash deposit on monzo for similar reasons stated on this thread, cost and because my nearest paypoint store is actually a post office also.

Was the fee and the limits not supposed to be reevaluated at a later date @simonb ? even tom came out at the time saying they werent sufficient

1 Like

I deifnietely remeber something about the limits being reevaluated, but I think the fee was more of a “of course this could change in the future” sort of thing.