Going #FullMonzo without being able to write cheques & freely pay in cash

Well it looks like HSBC isn’t an option as they want £500 a month paying in to qualify. I don’t want to start transferring money back and forth to satisfy this requirement so i’ll see if any other banks offer an account with cheque book that doesn’t require having to pay an amount of money in each month.

This would also cost a fee and would also require us replacing all of our debit cards to a new chip profile.

5 Likes

HSBC are dropping the £500 requirement from the 14 September

I think you’re misunderstanding the reason other people don’t care about this. I haven’t paid cash into a bank in decades, and haven’t written a cheque for about ten years. For many people, if someone gives them cash, they’ll just keep it and spend it, if someone asks for a cheque usually they accept cash (for small amounts) or cards (for large amounts). This has nothing to do with marketing or people toeing the company line, these features are just a non-issue for the majority of monzo customers.

People who do care about writing cheques and free cash deposits have plenty of banks to choose from, and that’s ok - monzo is a digital only bank and has other strengths.

Cash and cheques are on the way out anyway within the next ten years IMO.

Re the original poster, you could try barclays or one of the other high st banks.

6 Likes

But that’s exactly what Starling did - replaced everyone’s debit cards. And there’s no fee :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

:man_shrugging:t2:

How many customers at the time?

1 Like

Or you could just replace it for the tiny vocal majority with care!

Really? Well that’s very convenient. Thanks for letting me know.

It would cost Monzo £6,807,937.50 just to replace the personal account cards. Then there’s the joint account ones to replace

https://www.youandb.co.uk/
i use B account, can deposit at post office

Have you considered a Postal Order?

1 Like

Just wondering why this would be necessary?

The fee or the card replacement?

Card replacement

Our current chip profile would need to be reconfigured to support Post Office cash deposits.

Can this not be done during a transaction?

Ok. Thanks Simon. It seems a little dated as a solution but appreciate that it’s not within Monzo’s control of how these kind of account features can be enabled.

1 Like

I only used to write cheques as gifts. Now I tell my nephews and nieces to sign up for Monzo, or use Send By Text

Unfortunately not.