From Desktop Design to Your Doorstep: The Journey of a Monzo Card

13 Likes

Very interesting, thanks Kieran for the post!

One question I have (for @hugo?) is how the design team previews the card design. I’m assuming that the neon dye used for hot coral can’t be accurately reproduced in RGB, or with standard laser printer inks. So if you’re adding elements to the hot coral background (Monzo wordmark, MC logo with or without white outline), how do you evaluate the colour combinations? Seems that doing a ‘print run’ and hoping for the best could result in expensive mistakes!

1 Like

At what point does the card get the CVV2?

1 Like

Yeah I reread it twice thinking that part’s missing.

I’m pretty sure that’d be at the personalisation stage

2 Likes

Interesting post indeed. Was somewhat surprised to find they’re made in the UK but I guess it’s a fairly sophisticated manufacturing process.

I’m interested to know why ordering in small batches prevents data breaches? Presumably it limits the damage if there was one rather than preventing them?

2 Likes

Hi Furgus! Sorry this was unclear. What I meant by a security breach was a large-scale attack, rather than one on a few cards. Thanks for the clarification!

1 Like

I’m interested to know why ordering in small batches prevents data breaches?

Suspect it’s less ‘prevents’ and more ‘minimises the effects of’. If a batch of 5,000 were to be breached, far more customers would be affected than if a batch of 50 was breached (to take something of an extreme hypothetical example).

Unfortunately we don’t have a way to preview our work so we just try to play safe and keep our fingers crossed. So far we’ve never messed it up but, yeah, potentially we don’t get to see anything until the test card is approved.

2 Likes

Interesting, thanks for the answer. In this day and age of high-quality displays, greater colour space, etc., it’s easy for a non-designer like myself to forget that WYSIWYG is still not actually a reality!