Flying with easyJet

Declined again on our inbound flight from Dalaman last night. Lee, the rather rude cabin supervisor said he’d not been told and so I couldn’t pay using Monzo. No, sir it’s pre paid, I’m not accepting it. Despite pointing out the ‘debit’ logo on the reverse.

Again, good job we had a back up card as I was parched!

1 Like

I’d complain.

They’re refusing to accept a valid card. Providing poor service by being rude. And continuing misleading claims about a product.

They should be accepting prepaid cards anyway. It doesn’t make a difference.

4 Likes

Wasn’t the issue that they were accepting Monzo pre paid cards, but by the time they went to process it, the account was empty and they had a struggle getting paid?

Or have I made that up?

Oh possibly. :thinking:

That was the forum myth that Rika shot down

3 Likes

I want to start drinking and then offer payment by Monzo. If they still insist on refusing it, it’s “Thanks for the free drinks, Rude Lee!”

3 Likes

I flew back last night from Basel on easyJet, and got told “Oh, we don’t accept Monzo, or is it Starling?” … I just told them to try it, and then we can see if it works or not.

First attempt crashed their card machine (supposedly this is a common thing) - but they restarted it, tried again and it worked. :tada:

My annoyance is that they blanket originally said “no” - but luckily they were willing to give it a try.

This was with Chip & Pin.

1 Like

Worked fine for me on EasyJet flying out of Manchester this morning. No questions asked!

First of all, when these cards first came out and they were prepaid we wasn’t allowed to accept them on board as we don’t accept any prepaid cards. This is due to having no WiFi on board and taking card payments using Bluetooth that then saves details till it is taken off later at the end of the aircrafts day and payment is then processed. The reason for no prepaid is because of people paying for items and having no money in the account then at the end of the day when the card is awaiting payment finding out a payment was unable to be received due to lack of funds and costing the company in security as the money counts for crew commission. If crew are accepting payments with the prepaid card it is wrong and Monzo MasterCard should be the only monzo card used onboard.

That was true in the past with the prepaid cards but if you have a MasterCard it’s all good

not sure that was / is the case about non - payment - payment process explained here -

3 Likes

The prepaid card was also a MasterCard, of course, so the problem can’t be quite that simple.

1 Like

Also it’s not all good because easyJet are still rejecting Monzo cards.

Are they still rejecting these? When was the last reported rejection?

Should all be good now. If you’re still experiencing issues email acceptance@monzo.com

1 Like

Just been through my transactions and easy jet was ok with mine on 4th feb his year

1 Like

Why is EasyJet relying on a visual method on what cards to authorise? The terminal should be checking the chip/magnetic stripe to see if offline transactions are allowed. These days the prepaid argument is pretty crappy anyway, so many banks let you freeze your card (and some even let you blacklist a merchant in some countries). So if I wanted to steal from EasyJet it wouldn’t be hard anyway…

1 Like

Used Monzo on Easyjet flight from Amsterdam last week and had no issues.

I think September was my last easyJet rejection.

I used my Monzo on Monday on a Easy jet flight from Malta, the attendant was aware of the company and said everyone is getting them :grin: he asked about it asking was it a bank account etc, of course as a loyal Monzonian I sold it to him and his colleague :joy:

4 Likes