Flying with easyJet

Technically you can’t “steal” by freezing a card anyway, prepaid or not. If the card is offline-capable the transaction will go through once presented even if the card was frozen.

They can of course not get paid if the transaction is later disputed for fraud reasons, but this is a risk with all cards and has nothing to do with freezing.

1 Like

A lot of airlines are using authorisation deferral though, not processing them as an offline transaction.

What’s authorisation deferral?

Essentially where they store up all the card information and then send each card for authorisation. This is different from an offline transaction (where the chip generates an authorisation code) as the issuer can’t decline these transactions.

I’ve used my card on easyJet flights plenty of times in the past with no issues however on a recent flight back from Iceland my card crashed their machine twice. I tried with a MasterCard credit card too which for some reason declined despite having plenty of available balance but didn’t crash the machine. The third card I tried, a Visa Debit worked fine.
Staff member blamed their ancient terminals, we even joked that even Ryanair have the ability to accept contactless.

Sounds like manual imprinters would be more reliable than those heaps of junk.

2 Likes

That was never quite true:

Just to update this topic (maybe for the last time :+1:).

On my flight this morning, the crew stated that their preferred method of payment is by card, and that they now accepted contactless and Apple Pay!

5 Likes

Hi all,

I am an employee at easyJet so hopefully can shed light on new things.

As a company we have just switched to new ePos devices meaning that the transactions are faster and can also accept Apple Pay/Android Pay/Contactless.

Also, the guidance explicitly says we can accept Monzo/Curve cards so no one should be getting their card refused.

Hope this helps and clears things up!

24 Likes

The crew on the way back were waxing lyrical on the return trip. They definitely didn’t like the system; ‘the worst system I’ve ever used,’ etc. There certainly seems to be a lot of scrolling and tapping involved.

I mean I don’t use it in my role so can’t comment on how well it is.

I haven’t really heard anything negative thus far. from what people have told me, it’s app based now and will get regular updates

2 Likes

I’m sure they said on my flight today that they don’t accept Monzo, Revolut or other prepaid cards :thinking:

Have flown EasyJet many many many times. Highly rate them and have never had an issue using Monzo. A lot of punk IPA has been purchased…

I’ve had a lot of trouble with Revolut which i think is due to it being a prepaid card. Could be wrong and maybe it has been fixed now.

1 Like

Annoyingly, this is what appears on your feed with their new ePOS.

Transactions with their old system said easyJet.

I submitted a correction to update it to easyJet and it was ignored.

2 Likes

I don’t bother submitting corrections any more, for that reason.

3 Likes

Never had a problem with Easyjet, KLM, or Flybe onboard purchases using my Revolut or Starling card, perhaps you should consider using a different card #justsaying

Because Gate Group supply more than just EasyJet?

https://www.gategroup.com/en-gb/about/

If I recall correctly, the receipts have always been from Gate Group on easyJet flights, but transactions used to come up as easyJet in the app. Now they don’t.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s that right - I’ve just checked my transactions and the old ones come up as GATE GROUP INFLIGHT\C/O SHARED SERVICE CENTRE\CAPABILITY GP\LU1 3LU GBR but are all branded as easyJet.

I presume that other airlines would have a slightly different reference - or that they’d be showing easyJet, too. Interesting that we haven’t seen any complaints on here, though.

I wonder with the proliferation of fintechs whether companies might start seeing their logos in banking apps as branding opportunities and starting to be proactive in trying to manage them? :thinking:

3 Likes

Pre-paid you cannot accept as they require an internet connection to verify you actually have the money.

Monzo is 100% accepted (it even says so in our manuals)