Fireworks Petition

Please do enlighten us as to the legitimate ways in which knives, guns and drugs can be used. Perhaps a friendly knife fight in your back garden prior to the fireworks extravaganza?

Quick reminder to not make personal attacks on other people just for sharing their opinion, please! :grinning:

3 Likes

Yes! Ban fireworks!

And while you’re at it you can ban cars, kitchen knives, dogs, ladders, cigarette lighters, alcohol, paint, coffee, scissors, McDonalds, stereos, bicycles, children and people laughing too loudly.

/s

2 Likes

Too kind I’m sure. R-

1 Like

I use knives every day as I’m sure do you. I use my knives legitimately on boats, in the woods, opening parcels, getting into adult proof packaging, you name it.

I shoot clays with my shotgun, targets with my air rifle. In the US I do practical pistol.

You can’t have failed to notice the recent change to legitimate use of cannabis products. It is likely to be followed by the use of other drugs as the licences for their medicinal study are given.

Based in this argument we should also ban kitchen knives. People do some bad things with those. We should also ban alcohol, lighters, prescription drugs, baseball bats… the list goes on.

I respect peoples views on fireworks as my mum’s dogs are petrified right now but in the end I enjoy fireworks. I also enjoy setting them off for family and friends so wouldn’t want them banned. Raise the price by heavily taxing them and/or make them only available for certain retailers, but the public shouldn’t be stopped buying them.

In a nutshell.

I’d really love to see the first supermarket take a stand and not endorse those pop-up fireworks stalls, usually near the exit. I’d live to see that - but it won’t happen.

2 Likes

I struggle with your value set on this.

1 Like

I can’t enjoy fireworks because my mothers dogs, a town away, are scared? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Also please don’t cut down my sentence when I clearly stated I respect other peoples views on fireworks.

3 Likes

I understand the animal concerns with fireworks. They are more intrusive than most thing because you can’t escape the noise even in your own home so I get that and although I don’t personally set off fireworks or buy them I don’t think others should be denied that freedom because of a few that abuse it

1 Like

My two dogs hate fireworks, as I type they are barking so I am having to turn the TV volume up to drown out the banging. It’s not nice for any animal to be scared so I do get where people who want a full on ban are coming from.

That said, I don’t think they should be banned completely, however I do think more control is needed over who can buy them and where. The current age limit of 18 definitely needs reviewing and I think when purchasing them identification should be mandatory.

Sure, not a total ban. But restricted to organised events on one night is a far cry from spread across a week by everyone who got a few bob to spare.

1 Like

It’s not just your mother’s dogs though, is it?

I’m sure @Chapuys empathises with others’ views because of other people’s dogs too.

On a different note, how insanely expensive are fireworks for a few seconds of entertainment! :open_mouth:

1 Like

If you do something like that in the gif you deserve everything you get…

4 Likes

It really feels like there’s almost a “that’s what she said” joke somewhere in that comment

2 Likes

I do feel for the veterans with PTSD when it comes to this issue. I wouldn’t vote for banning fireworks, but I would vote for the ‘bang’ to be removed from them. I wish they’d just fizzle and then quietly erupt into their fancy colours.

2 Likes

Since fireworks seem to scare dogs, what about lightning? Where’s the petition to ban that too? :roll_eyes:

2 Likes