Fintech friends: Monzo partners with TransferWise for international payments

That’s exactly how I thought it would work. I’ll stick to using Transferwise for now. Thanks for posting this, you’ve saved me a few minutes frustration :+1:

6 Likes

@liamh Thanks, I just got access this afternoon!

Some background on my use case: I already use TransferWise to send $200AUD to my Australian savings account each month, as this gets me a bonus interest rate (3% p.a. in total). I’m hoping to do this, and other foreign transactions, directly via Monzo in future to make life easier.

My feedback:

1. As others have noted, it would be good to have the ability to specify the recipient amount to make it easier to know how much to send when you’d like them to receive a specific amount.

2. The app let me enter a long payment reference, but when I tried to pay 2 steps later the payment failed without giving a reason; reducing the length of my payment reference fixed this. It would be good to prevent users from entering a payment reference that is too long from the get go.

3. I was asked to choose a “Recipient type” for which I chose “Australian Local”, however on the next screen there was a “Recipient type” field which was blank - I had to click “Choose” and select “Person”; seems like that should have already been selected.

4. The lack of saved senders or scheduled payments is a major gap. The lack of saved senders in particular means it’ll be easier for me to use the TransferWise app until this is fixed - hopefully both of these features are already on the roadmap :wink:

This was on Android v2.4.0.

Cheers,
Daniel

8 Likes

Is this still rolling out, or should we all have access by now?

I’ve been checking daily since the announcement, currently on TestFlight 2.5.0, and still have no international option.

Not overly concerned as I have no immediate need to use it, just starting to worry I’ve been missed!

Same here - I reckon it’s being rolled out.

It’s being rolled out to customers. If you want it urgently ask COPs to enable it in chat.

2 Likes

Not sure if this has been mentioned as a bug already. :blush:

I logged in with my TransferWise account, allowed Monzo access, and then returned to the Monzo app. But then it just sits there asking me to log in to my TW account again. If I log in again, I get the same outcome.
Anyone else experienced this?

For reference I’m using the latest version from the App Store on iOS 11.4.

1 Like

Turn off the setting for Touch ID authentification to log in.

Interesting that Transferwise is already giving us the IBAN for Monzo?

3 Likes

Thanks, I gave this a go. Ended up disabling Touch ID on Monzo and TW, and also 2FA on TW.

I was then able to complete the sign in, and have reactivated all the security. :+1:t2:

This looks like a generic page and/or wrong info. The monzo page has the Santander bic code and the page is identical to Santander - https://transferwise.com/gb/iban/uk/santander

1 Like

Is this still not enabled for everyone? I’m on android, don’t see any international option on the payments screen like the help topic suggests??!!

@dannyj its rolling out to everyone in next few weeks. If you need it now you can ask COPS in chat to enable it for you.

A post was split to a new topic: Removed Posts - 24/8/18

Looks like I need a transfer wise account to make an international payment? A little inconvenient that we’re uanble to make international transfer directly like we can with Revolut…

You can make them without creating a Transferwise account. Transferwise just process the payment for you.

Strange, it’s not giving me that option. I see a screen that tells me to sign in to a transfer wise account.

This is what it should look like:

Which point are you being made to have a TransferWise account?

After the first screen you’ve shown. See screenshot below. I had to create a transfer wise account to continue.

1 Like

That’s odd. I don’t get it and I’ve never had a TransferWise account.

Hopefully this is a bug.

1 Like

Just tried tried this. I get the same screen as @MS308