Express Transit Cards in iOS 12.3

You sure sound like a londoner :rofl:

I never understand this. People can use phones all over the place now and you donā€™t get them constantly chatting in your ear. Why would they on the tube? They might load Instagram or Facebook or WhatsApp and occasionally a phone might ring, but its not the 90s, no ones chatting on the phone.

Also, if you get wifi, youā€™ll be able to get calls over wifi on most modern phones & networks, so youā€™re going to have the same issue.

(Sorry, this is definitely going off topic!)

4 Likes

Technically, Iā€™m from Somerset (and Switzerland) - but yes, I have been here a while :smiley:

Everyoneā€™s different. We all have different needs in terms of the environments that work best for us. Some enjoy the hustle and bustle, while others need space and quiet to read and unwind. I find you do quite often get people on phones on the Overground, and in the more confined space of the Underground, it would be far more noticeable. However, thatā€™s my own preference.

Iā€™d like to meet anyone who thinks the Tube is somewhere to go for space and quiet. Between crowding or the constant screeching, this seems like an impossible dream.

Other cities (abroad) can provide a mobile signal and while you get people talking (itā€™s a phone), Iā€™ve rarely found it to be annoying.

2 Likes

Nobodyā€™s suggesting the Tube is somewhere youā€™d actively seek to go for space and quiet. Itā€™s a form of transport, on which the behaviour of others - and the level of consideration they show - can make a difference to your experience.

Compared to other places in the world the Tube is really relaxed. It is annoying though not having normal mobile signals down there because Iā€™m used to it in other places - when youā€™re looking around on the web for something.

WiFi isnā€™t as seamless as mobile data just working consistently from being outside, in the station and on the trains.

I have the free VM WiFi in London but getting it to connect is sometimes a pain and if Iā€™m on the train getting it to connect between stations if Iā€™m trying to quickly find something is a bit hit and miss.

13 Likes
1 Like

Great news to see this is coming

1 Like

6 Likes

railcards and other concessions on contactless

Effing finally! :tada:
I wonder if the number of oyster cards issued jumped up following the introduction of the 26-30 railcard. I know thatā€™s the reason I use an Oyster card instead of contactless. When they get this sorted, that will allow them to start properly phasing out Oyster, rather than just nagging people to use contactless.

2 Likes

I wonder why TfL have commented saying no plans for Oyster in wallet as itā€™s only open for bank cards. Itā€™s not true and works very well. Would be a nice move from TfL to allow oyster directly in wallet.

6 Likes

Itā€™s probably just that they arenā€™t aware, as itā€™s not all that well known that Apple Wallet supports it.

Hi. Is anybody able to use Transit Express o. Londonā€™s Tfl? I am quite sure I have seen people getting in and out of the tube just by tapping their iphone (I could see the Monzo card on their display).
I still canā€™t. #confused

No, itā€™s not supported by TFL yet.

You can authenticate Face ID / Touch ID up to 60? seconds in advance as youā€™re walking up to the barrier so thatā€™s probably what you saw.

Just double tap the side button on an iPhone X or newer to launch Apple Pay & authenticate, to do that.

Touch ID might be the better one as you can just place your finger on the Touch ID sensor without pressing it and then tap in at the reader without any further action

On behalf of everyone else in London, please donā€™t do this, itā€™s still slower than doing it in advance :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

I know. It sucks. And even double clicking it still requires my face ID or, if I deactivate it, my 4digits password. Still havent been able to make it work just by double clicking.

Oyster is much more expensive for TfL in terms of fare collection.

Oyster costs 15% of Revenue. Contactless will bring that down to 6%

https://newsroom.mastercard.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/MasterCard_TfL-Case-Study_May-2016.pdf

One big benefit to Express cards is power reserve where phones without charge can be used for transport for hours after the battery dies

1 Like