European Super League

Apparently, contracts signed for 23yrs as per info on Sky Sports news

7 Likes

BREAKING: Arsenal have decided to not participate in the European Super League. They are starting their own breakaway league with just themselves. The bookies currently have them as second favourites to win it.

6 Likes

Imagine seeing Arsenal and Tottenham getting battered every week by Europe’s finest.

Oh wait, you asked for why it’s a bad idea…

The problem with it, is that it ruins the dream of football.

The dream that your local club can, if it performs well rise up the pyramid over years and eventually get to the premier league or play in europe. You only have to see Leicester as the prime example of that.

This league essentially kills that. Why bother to perform in the league if you’re already in the super league? In theory any of the clubs in the super league could still be there, even if they get relegated from the professional football leagues.

It’s all about money and it ruins the dream, which arguably is the most important part of football.

5 Likes

For football romanticists, it’s all about the dream, for those running the game it’s all about the money, and the dream ruins that. Which is why we ended up with a Premier League in the first place.

I guess the difference with this is that there are permanent members.

3 Likes

Indeed, the point I was attempting to make was that it was power, money, and greed which brought us the Premier League, and it’s the same triumvirate which has brought us the ESL.

Although it should be noted that until 1986 it was virtually impossible to be relegated from the old division 4. The bottom team could apply to be re-elected, and nine times out of ten they were. So, in effect, we’ve been here before.

I am sure if they got relegated out their national top division the other clubs in the super league would vote them out of that. Assuming they all have equal voting rights within the closed structure.

Pompey, Leicester, Wolves etc etc, have got to European football on merit.

That would never happen again. As it would be 5 teams per year from all leagues that make up the numbers and if this gets everyone booted out of the CL for good, they’d be crazy to do it.

It also makes the domestic leagues pointless. Liverpool really needed that win last night but drew. Under the new rules it wouldn’t make any difference if they finished 2nd or 17th. So they’d be resting star players at the weekend so they are ready for midweek, now that does happen now on occasion but not weekly and not to the same degree that it would start to.

3 Likes

Or moreover teams just have a full first string and second string. Second string for prem and main one for super league. Obviously for big prem games may put out first team but not week in week out.

1 Like

As a Liverpool fan, last night’s draw with Leeds was super frustrating exactly because of its potential impact on us finishing fourth and making next year’s CL.

If our place is just guaranteed every year it literally takes the fun / pressure out of it. Games just become meaningless. The pyramid of football is what makes it exciting. Take away the stakes and what’s left?

The fact that Liverpool spend most of the 2010s out of the CL is what made it all the more special when we reached the two finals and won it.

Liverpool may currently be an elite team (at least for now!) but is anyone going to argue that Spurs / Arsenal are? Ten years ago there’s no chance City would be in this group either.

2 Likes

That’s 1 reversed course :sweat_smile: shows how out of touch with reality they really are. It was never gonna end well.

That’s it over with then. It won’t continue now

4 Likes

Think I also read Manchester are thinking of pulling out, but that’s just best guess rumours I think. Having said that, now ones left the others can easily follow.

1 Like

It was nice of the super league to give the custom banner and T-shirt makers 48 hours of increased revenue

1 Like

Credit to Chelsea. Stupid decision in the first place but at least they have the humility / intelligence to admit they were wrong.

I think it was probably players behind the scenes putting pressure on rather than the club suddenly seeing the light

Doesn’t matter. They’re on the right side of it now. My club still aren’t.

Who is your club?

I’m a Liverpool fan and I have a feeling Klopp would have resigned if he thought it was definitely going ahead

1 Like