Ending the Monzo Prepaid Beta

If you upgrade pre 5pm your card should be dispatched for a next day delivery (1st class post)

You will have a £200 fee-free withdrawal buffer, anything over this is charged at 3%.

Card transactions online and at a terminal are free and at the MasterCard conversion rate.

4 Likes

Note that the 3% fee for overseas ATM withdrawals over £200 applies to the prepaid card, too. The current account behaves exactly the same as the prepaid for overseas cash and card use.

4 Likes

So, just to be clear, cards that are being issued now will be current account cards, not pre-paid?

Yes. And if you have a prepaid card it will stop working in April.

2 Likes

So if you loose your pre paid card you have to upgrade to get a replacement?

if you lose your prepaid you don’t have to upgrade to a CA - you can close your account and your remaining balance gets returned to you , just like any other bank if you choose not to use their services :slight_smile:

1 Like

So excited!

4 Likes

Not necessarily. They might have a stock of replacement prepaid cards, but they’re certainly not opening new prepaid accounts, and haven’t been since sometime around November last year.

Upgraded yesterday, card arrived today … amazed at the speed. Yes you can still top up via a debt card but the bank transfer is so easy … yes, I am fairly new to online banking for transfers etc. But it is just as easy as a card top up … really … Andy

8 Likes

30 days and counting :rocket::clap:t3:

https://howmanydaystill.com/its/monzo-prepay-finally-ends

Can I use the Monzo card in my Apple Wallet? And you going to be offering Apple Pay?

Not at the moment, but I imagine it is coming soon. Monzo lists what it’s currently working on and “Mobile NFC Payments” is listed in the near term. I’ve linked the roadmap so you can take a look.

Monzo Product Roadmap

Ahh ok so it’s either close or upgrade, you won’t get sent a new prepaid card.

nope you won’t be issued with a new prepaid card , it will be a new Current account card - which will work in exactly the same way with additional benefits - and apparently you need to upgrade within the next 7 days :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool thanks, I’ve been upgraded since last year but was interested to see if they were pushing users that way.
Interesting they are saying order within the next 7 days as there will still be 2 weeks until closure. Maybe they are expecting a massive amount of upgrade thus adding to the delay of getting the cards out.

I understand that once the 4th arrives any prepaid card will stop working and any balance will be refunded to the top up card. The user will still be given the option to upgrade but as far as monzo are concerned their account has been closed.

1 Like

yes from the original blog post posted at the top of this thread -

What does this mean?

On 4th April 2018, if you haven’t upgraded your account you will no longer be able to use your prepaid Mastercard® or your Monzo app to make or receive payments.

Your app will continue to work for a short time after this date, so you can still access your account history and upgrade if you want.

If you don’t decide to upgrade, we’ll refund any remaining money by returning it to your original bank cards, or transferring it to one of your bank accounts.

If neither of those are possible, we’ll get in touch to find out the best way to get your money back to you. You can rest assured that any remaining money will be returned.

If you like, you can also withdraw your remaining balance from an ATM anytime before the 4th April 2018.

slightly confusing is the "Your app will continue to work for a short time after this date"

• “continue to work” means it will facilitate the upgrade but you won’t be able to use the card for payments or receipts from other users / bank transfers etc :slight_smile:
1 Like

I can confirm that the 1p balance on a prepaid account I didn’t upgrade has appeared in one of my legacy accounts with ref “MONZO”.

So that’s the end of all that then. Onwards and upwards.

6 Likes