Easy Jet/budget airlines

I think three months in advance is the sweet spot. Check momondo for price comparisons and toggle till you get the best price! I find that for some reason momondo tends to show cheaper prices than Skyscanner :thinking: but Skyscanner is defo more well-known and they do a lot of intense advertising.

You sometimes have to add £ for baggage, I paid like £30 for 40kg with a linked site one time but another time it was included during a Singapore-London flight. I had booked late though, so it was £190 or something. Still like 1/2 that of Emirates. I would recommend bringing on your own food- I didn’t fancy paying extra and lots of people do this. I was amazed at how they have a card slot on the screen in front of you for you to swipe when you want something from the bar.

Never had a very bad experience with any airline.
If I had to pick my least favourite it would have been BA as the plane was in a bad condition coming back from NYC.

Singapore Airline and ANZ are the best I’ve ever flown with.

I’d prefer to fly easy over Ryanair if given the choice and the cost is comparable, they don’t always fly to the same destinations though.

I’ve had some bad experience with KLM due to some luggage deciding not to leave AMS but they were apologetic and sent it directly to the hotel I was staying the next day

Best airline I have flown is Qatar Airways, I had such a pleasant experience plus Doha airport is sooooooooooooo nice coupled with flying on the A350-900 and the then brand spanking new A350-1000

Cathay/Dragonair is second followed by Lufthansa

Also: Even if your accommodation and alternative flights have been paid for by the airline, under EU Regulation 261/2004, you are still entitled to €250 compensation for your troubles.

You can send the airline a letter claiming this yourself, but knowing Ryanair, they’ll reply saying that they don’t have to pay you this due to the circumstances being beyond their responsibility.

I’ve used www.flight-delayed.co.uk successfully a few times, they are no win no fee but do take 25% of successful claims.

You can simply ask for the €250 directly to the airline. Then you will not have to pay any commission.

I had 4 flights canceled in the last 20 months…:airplane:

2 Likes

oh great to hear! flying via Doha with QA in a couple of days!

1 Like

I’ve not had any luck with this, my flight got cancelled and I had to rearrange another flight on my own at 3am and sit in Frankfurt for like 12 hours as the lines were all engaged :confused: been chasing Lufthansa for 6 months via email/ phone to no avail :frowning:

Why not use resolver.co.uk as it does it all for you and is free :slight_smile:

Saves the hassle of trying to find forms and email addresses looking at you Flybe…

Airlines to avoid in my view as a frequent flyer:

Jet2Nowhere
SquEasyJet
cRYApNAIR
FlybeMaybe

Best Airlines
Cathay Pacific
BA
Etihad

1 Like

That is a surprise. But I suppose it is all down to individual experiences.

I’ve never really had any issues with BA. And I fly with them two/three times a month.

I genuinely think sometimes people on planes/airports like to complain at the slightest thing.

But things do go wrong, but like I said earlier once you have a bad experience with an airline it seems to stick more than any other form of transport.

Interestingly there have been a few dislikes of BA’s London to New York route, despite it being the most profitable route on Earth. Brings BA $1 billion a year!

1 Like

First time flying with Norwegian Air last week… and hopefully the last!

If you have no issues (and I can’t really remember any issues I’ve had with budget airlines in the past), you are good to go.

But… if you do have an issue… good luck!

One suitcase was left behind at Gatwick on Wednesday afternoon. But they said they’d fly it out that night (not a problem).

Tried calling them on Thursday morning… nothing.

We were travelling every day, so we couldn’t wait around.

Finally got hold of someone on the Friday, and they said they’d fly it internally to Molde (from Bergen), and they would deliver to us there, as we were an hour or two away.

Landed in Molde… (the bag), and they called to get our address… Then said we were too far away :joy::see_no_evil:

We were flying home from Oslo on Sunday, passing by the airport Saturday night, so told them to fly it there (which they did).

So yeah… What an absolute shambles!

Zero communication, very slow and just a nightmare to deal with.

Had that not happened, the rest of the flight was fine!

Had the choice to fly to Southeast Asia directly with Norwegian or with one stop via Doha with Qatar. Was quite obvious which option I preferred.

Can’t wait flying Qatar - it will be my first time flying with them. :qatar::airplane:

I used to fly Emirates/ Qatar depending on which was cheapest at the time but have recently switched to Norwegian since the price is too tempting. It’s good, no frills, until something goes wrong I guess!

I was lucky that Norwegian was just a tiny bit cheaper. With luggage and traveling to the airport it would have been the same +/- £20. Enjoying those student discounts whiles they last😝

That’s what I said.

The times I used that service was when the airlines (Ryanair and Iberia) refused compensation on the basis that the cause of the delay/cancellations was beyond their control (it wasn’t, they were cause of delay and cancellation). If they are refusing me, I’m going to need the help of professionals.

In Ryanair’s case, they changed their position when threatened with legal action. Iberia’s case is currently in court.

I’d rather have 75% of some money than 100% of nothing!!

1 Like

Out of interest, did you go via a dispute resolution service first? Or straight to the (small claims?) court?

Through that service, don’t think I would bother taking to court if I had to do myself.

They’ll escalate for you for as long as they believe there is a case. In my Iberia case, they forwarded the case to solicitors who took it to court under same initial conditions (no win-no fee, 25% fee from winnings).

1 Like

Radha Stirling, chief executive of Detained in Dubai, said: "The UAE maintains a deliberately misleading facade that alcohol consumption is perfectly legal for visitors.

"Tourists cannot be blamed for believing that the Emirates are tolerant of Western drinking habits, but this is far from reality.

“It is wholly illegal for any tourist to have any level of alcohol in their blood, even if consumed in flight and provided by Dubai’s own airline. It is illegal to consume alcohol at a bar, a hotel and a restaurant and if breathalysed, that person will be jailed.”

1 Like

I visit Dubai frequently. I’m there tomorrow actually. While what you post is technically true in reality it’s rarely enforced. Does this make it right? No. But there are almost always extra circumstances as to why the authorities intervene. I do not believe it was all plain sailing and a woman was stopped after one glass of wine on an 8 hour flight. It doesn’t add up for the many many times I have been there.

In many countries I visit, homosexuality is illegal. But in practice it is tolerated. Do I think this is right? No. Do I think it should change? Yes. It’s perfectly possible to believe it’s wrong but have a realistic understanding of the actual reality of it.

Day to day, westerners are not thrown into jail in Dubai for a glass of wine on a flight. You can pull one or two I’m sure but you’re avoiding the millions of others who fly through Dubai each year and focusing on one.

1 Like

The thing is that if you get in a trouble with the local authorities, have an argument with a policeman, or immigration officer like in this case, the so called ignored law might be used against you and get a stint in a jail. This how all dictatorships operate unfortunately.

3 Likes