Dominatrix

I was meaning your comparisons to emails and phone numbers?

They don’t advertise on monzos twitter feed. Twitter is a (relatively) open platform, just because someone says ‘monzo’ in a tweet doesn’t not mean they are associated with monzo or that monzo endorses anything they say.

I dont think this is true, i think the majority of people who have replied in this thread have shown that they feel is is morally objectionable.

Should monzo police all morally objectionable uses of peoples own accounts? If that’s the case they’d have no business left as they’d be closing accounts left and right. What’s immoral to one person isnt to another. Its not as clear as you’d like, and don’t fall into the trap of wanting only the things you find objectionable banned.

And as has been said in this thread many times, 1, there is options for vulnerable people to contact monzo if they feel they might have been taken advantage of, not just for this kind of scenario but any scenario where someone has given or paid money for something when they should have not; 2, this isn’t something you can just easily police. People ask for money all the time, @anon72173902 just did, would monzo be obliged to close his account too?

If Monzo believe this is damaging to their brand they could ask twitter to do something about these people on their platform, and twitter would say… ‘nah’ because while it may not be 100% moral, nothing illegal has taken place.

yep :+1: …no problem

" and don’t fall into the trap of wanting only the things you find objectionable banned."

• thank you for the advice - I will try not to

I’m personally not sure where I stand on this kind of thing.

I personally think that searching for a bank and seeing these kinds of posts does seem a little bit unprofessional. Can you imagine searching for “Lloyd’s bank” and seeing these?

At the same time, I think you should be able to do what you want with your money providing that it’s legal.

I’m not sure what Monzo could do about it either. They could close accounts but that doesn’t mean that they will stop using the word Monzo and it would likely become a game of cat and mouse anyway.

I think the bit that’s the most worrying is, this kind of thing has been reported a handful of times to Monzo. Are the people that do this kind of thing, likely to speak to their bank about this? I’d think that would be a no and I wonder how many Monzo users have a problem with this but are too embarrassed to say something for Monzo to help

I’m not sure what Monzo could do about it either. They could close accounts but that doesn’t mean that they will stop using the word Monzo and it would likely become a game of cat and mouse anyway.

very true

I don’t think it’s a fair comparison because those sorts of banks aren’t used heavily for frequent P2P internet based payments in the same way that us, Venmo and Cash App are. We have more in common in this respect with those companies than we do with legacy banks, and if you search those names you’ll see similar.

2 Likes

Going by the picture they seem to be using bank transfer not monzo.me

Yeah, I get that. It’s more the ease of use and the comfort level / brand awareness around the app and name. #lloydsbank is not a selling point in a tweet in the way that #monzo or #cashapp is.

If we tied P2P payments specifically to monzo.me usernames (which I’ve long argued we should for other reasons) then that’d become the default method and you’d see people sharing their usernames widely online in both this sort of scenario and many others - which is a big reason for Cash App’s virality in the US (they have usernames called cashtags, and you can P2P just by knowing the username)

2 Likes

Hmm, good point :slightly_smiling_face:. I just feel it looks bad for a bank’s brand

I personally think this is more of a Twitter problem than a Monzo one anyway. I think the question Twitter need to ask themselves is, do they want these kind of posts appearing next to verified payment providers. There is things twitter could do with ML and AI to remove these just from search results for payment providers for example. That way they are still on Twitter but aren’t seen by Joe Bloggs who’s looking for Tweets about his bank

3 Likes

I think Monzo has become synonymous at this point for modern financial services in ways that other “challenger banks” haven’t achieved.

This idea of facilitating “content creators” for getting paid is something that I actually really want to see us develop. This pilot was meant to address that, but I don’t think we were able to progress much on it.

It just so happens that camgirls are a type of “content creator” that illicit strong reactions and these kinds of conversations!

There’s actually a theory (and some pretty strong evidence) that many significant technological innovations had their origins in the adult industry.

5 Likes

Decided to search after you mentioned and crikey thought I would see some flexing of Monzo users. Boy was I wrong haha

1 Like

Can I call bullshit on arguments like this?

Unless it’s illegal, a bank shouldn’t necessarily care about how its customers are earning their money.

If you let ‘morality’ in to it, where do you stop?

Gambling is immoral! People who earn money through betting on the footie, or entering poker tournaments, shouldn’t be allowed to have Monzo accounts! (So there goes Victoria Coren-Mitchell, say)

Meat-eating is immoral! Butchers and meat-eaters shouldn’t be allowed to have Monzo accounts. How could Monzo profit from the suffering of animals? (So there go too many people to mention)

I could go on, but I’ll stop there. You could say my examples are absurd, but that’s rather the point. “I don’t like [thing]” shouldn’t mean “Monzo should close the accounts of people who make money through [thing]”. Because once you start, where do you stop?

2 Likes

weren’t some users that did matched betting banned… hmmm ?

My understanding is that was because they were deemed to be operating as a business, back when Monzo didn’t offer business accounts.

I’ve no problem in any instance if Monzo were to say “You’re a business, you should open a business account.”

2 Likes

Interesting to know, didn’t really see anything wrong with matched betting?

You can, it’s an opinion of course :slight_smile:.

I said they could close accounts. I wasn’t suggesting they should. It was more raising the point that there isn’t a great deal they can do about it.

With that comment I meant more that it looks bad for these posts to appear alongside official posts from Monzo. Just like videos get demonitized on YouTube. Doesn’t mean the content shouldn’t be allowed or is illegal but advertisers may not want to appear near it. Just like Monzo may be against their posts being alongside these

1 Like

My question would be “Why does it look bad?”

They’re only appearing beside official posts because that’s what happens when you do a search on “Monzo” and get the results.

At no point is any endorsement even implied. And if it is inferred, that’s down to a lack of understanding of how internet searches work, so its on the person and not the company.

I could send all sort of stuff through the Royal Mail. Or advertise all sorts of things through Post Office boxes. But generally people would understand the Royal Mail aren’t endorsing or advertising any of it themselves.

3 Likes

Just jumping in to say I don’t see an issue either.

• Monzo can’t dictate how people use their accounts.
  • People shouldn’t judge a bank on how a minority of people use it.
  • Monzo are not encouraging this behaviour

I understand it’s probably not nice to see but I’m sure you can find some messed up stuff whatever you search for on the internet.

2 Likes

This topic is going to make SEO pretty interesting

5 Likes

In hindsight having read all the other opinions above maybe I was hasty saying it damages the Monzo brand , as you say Monzo aren’t endorsing any of the links, and have little control over the twitter posters .

Maybe Content creators are the way to go …Monzo the bank for Dominatrix , get all your subs without fees :slight_smile:

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What have we done!! :grimacing: :scream:

1 Like