Dominatrix

It wasn’t due to them doing matched betting which is perfectly legal, their account was frozen I believe due to taking bets and paying out to family and friends on their behalf from what I recall reading which triggered the this looks dodgy/running a business. :eyes:

As a gay man (and as a historian of LGBT+ history) I’d rather if Monzo (and my fellow Monzonians) didn’t make moral judgments about what people spend their money on, because banks did that in the past and it always (always, always, ALWAYS) resulted in the traditional banks discriminating against LGBT+ people.

So, yeah, some people are not happy that BDSM Dom Femmes are using their Monzo accounts to bank their money. And I’m not happy that some straight people are using their Monzo accounts to pay for having ugly jeans and standing hand-in-hand on the pavement blocking the rest of us as we try to walk to Waitrose. Sucks, doesn’t it?

7 Likes

Why wouldn’t they use Monzo.me?

They want more than a £100 per transaction ? :joy:

But custom url

1 Like

Monzo.me/ daddy

1 Like

Oh my god :joy:

Edit: no one has taken it yet! :eyes:

Monzo.me/ paymenow

I’m more disappointed that Miss Mystique and Mistress Cee have not gone #fullmonzo

2 Likes

If any of the dom’s are reading this thread then some of these monzo.me names will soon be snapped up :rofl:

1 Like

But it would still display their legal name on the monzo.me page, I’d say most wouldn’t want that.

:slight_smile: is monzo ready for the influx of new accounts

3 Likes

I definitely don’t want my bank making moral judgements about what I can / can’t do with my money. If sex work were illegal in the U.K. it would be a different situation, but it’s not so should be treated the same as payment for any other goods/services.

8 Likes

If these girls can make a living from it, then fair play.
And if there are people willing to pay them that’s their choice. Personally I think they are barmy paying for effectely nothing, but they clearly feel like they are getting something out of the transaction, so good luck to them.

I personally don’t see any problem at all with this. If sex workers and their customers want to use Monzo to send and receive P2P payments let them do it. It’s their lives and their money, who are we to dictate what they should and shouldn’t be doing! If anything it makes more people aware of the service and could potentially get more people signing up and going Full Monzo.

As for Twitter, it’s a sign of how successful Monzo are that people recognise their P2P payment service and actually use ‘Monzo’ as a verb. You wouldn’t say ‘I’ll HSBC you the money’ whereas you can say exactly that with ‘Monzo’. Twitter and search results on the wider web are of course side effects of that but it’s no reason to go blocking and banning accounts.

I can see there being an issue with sex workers using Monzo not having business accounts set up. Monzo could of course just turn a blind eye or they could gently encourage those people to sign up for a business account, explaining fully what that means for them and giving them plenty of time to move over before taking action.

That’s just my two cents, but I’d hate be an investor in a bank that bans people just because they sell sex.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.