Do many people still use physical cards?

With all the advances in digital banking, mobile wallets, etc I was just wondering how many people actually use their physical cards anymore?
Personally, apart from having a few cards on Google Pay, which are normally used for online payments where the merchant accepts GPay, I usually tend to go for the physical card over mobile wallet, as I find it easier.
I do also have Curve, but I feel that will be gone too once the cashback offer ends.
Plus I’ve carried a wallet for so long, albeit a much thinner one nowdays, that when I haven’t got it with me while I’m out, I feel naked :rofl:

What about the good people on here, what are your preferences and the reasons for them?

I’m carrying my wallet less and less now. I think I’m nearly wallet less.

3 Likes

I was all in on cashless, Apple Pay only and fintech only baking for a long time. Only recently have I decided to take a step back and start carrying a wallet again and using only physical cards for purchases.

It’s all too easy to not realise how much your spending online and by just using your phone, I’m hoping the physical action of taking my wallet and using my card will help me be more mindful of my spending.

4 Likes

Use card most of the time. Use Apple Pay once a week maybe. Card just seems quicker

3 Likes

Yup! Used to use Apple Pay, but my trust in the tech giants has massively diminished. Plus I switched to a phone without NFC which didn’t help. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I use physical cards much more than Apple pay. Also, I see more people paying with cards (e.g. In Sainsbury’s, Tesco) than with mobile phones.

1 Like

Less than 15% of the UK population use digital wallets.

The majority who use cards use physical cards with contactless transactions continuing to become more popular if the value is under £30.

2 Likes

Thanks for the insight :+1::+1::+1:

I think my “wallet” helps too.
It’s actually an ID holder with a couple of extra slots and I just take out whatever cards i will be needing at the time.

Depending on the circumstances, it could have anything from 3 to 6 cards in and takes up no more room than just carrying a single card. :grin:

I use Apple Pay only as I always have my phone. and never have my card. :man_shrugging:

I do have an Oyster on my at all times tho in one of those plastic things.

1 Like

I always carry my wallet, but I’ll almost always use Apple Pay on either my phone or my watch, unless I have to scan a loyalty card which isn’t available in Apple Pay/an iPhone app yet, as it’s generally easier to use contactless when I have my wallet out anyway.

I only use cash in the rarest of circumstances.

2 Likes

Genuinely don’t remember the last time I used my bank card. I have my wallet in a jacket pocket for leave of mind but only really pull it out if I really need something. Now my Boots Advantage and Sainsbury’s Nectar cards are digital, I really don’t ever bother with any real cards.

2 Likes

I don’t; in the UK I feel confident enough that everyone supports contactless (and most do CDCVM so no 30£ limit) and it hasn’t failed me yet. Worst case so far was when I was stuck at Tesco (nothing else nearby) and had to split it in 2 transactions since they explicitly disable CDCVM to push you to their bullshit loyalty card app for 30£+ transactions.

Abroad however I always carry a card as I might need to take cash out and contactless support is inconsistent (I’ve had contactless + online PIN in Romania, never saw that in the UK). Surprisingly though, most machines there were supporting contactless without the merchants even being aware of it. :joy:

2 Likes

The only time I get my monzo card out is for pay at pump, I always use Google pay, most of my transactions are under £30 so I don’t even need to unlock my phone.

1 Like

Only my physical cards
Can’t withdraw cash, pay at pump and the amount of terminals round here that are configured incorrectly to reject mobile wallets for over £30

That and I prefer the physical card and don’t trust Google/apple when it comes to money

3 Likes

I use Apple Pay on my phone or my watch near enough all the time now. With the exception of Tesco who still don’t allow Apple Pay over £30.

I always carry my wallet on me just in case, and I can’t remember the last time I used cash.

2 Likes

Given that Apple charges banks a percentage For the privilege of Apple Pay, I am wondering how much Apple Pay reduces the costs of fraud for banks. In essence I’m trying to ascertain how cost-effective offering Apple Pay is, other than being a draw for customers.

1 Like

I use Apple Pay on my watch for
95% of transactions. Physical card for
ATM withdrawals and Tesco, and sometimes when I’m abroad.

And cash at those very rare businesses that won’t take my card, such as the barber’s - and in some countries abroad where cash is still king.

2 Likes

I use Airtime Rewards for cash back at certain retailers. Some of them require the use of the physical card to claim the rewards. Other than that, it’s always Apple Pay.

2 Likes

I use Apple Pay for everything besides withdrawing cash for the barbers. I only carry my physical card as a backup in case my phone battery dies.

2 Likes