Display running balance with each entry

With MasterCard having changed the way the foreign currency transactions are done so the amount doesn’t change so it has reduced the amount the feed can change.

Maybe have some way of showing that the relevant part of the running balance is pending so may still change would be a way to get around that issue.

Almost as if people didn’t make foreign transactions in the prepaid days.

After all, the Current Account balance has to update when a transaction in a foreign currency is settled.

1 Like

Interesting. Are MasterCard now guaranteeing the exchange rate at the moment of purchase rather than the moment of settlement ?

I’m new to Monzo but I miss being able to see the balance at the time of transaction - 2 days ago I bought some items from Amazon and since then I have added money to my account and there have been other transactions but I can’t see how close to being overdrawn I was… that kind of info is invaluable for me to help me avoid those situations in the future.

1 Like

It is not ideal, but you can open the statement from within the app and see that

1 Like

Is this what it’s come to? Where a simple PDF provides a better experience* than a state of the art modern-day mobile banking application? :joy:

*in terms of a running account balance

Thanks for the tip though, didn’t realise this was a thing on statements.

3 Likes

Well, who knows, it may come back as one of the feed updates they are working on, but it was probably the biggest “drop-off” from the original app design, unless you were a Pulse cultist (pulse pulse pulse)

1 Like

Oh the drama of it.

Good to hear the pulse (pulse pulse) mentioned again, though. Very nostalgic.

3 Likes

Here’s hoping! :crossed_fingers:

I do miss the pulse. Monzo has always had a very top heavy interface, but the pulse made much better use of that space than the current UI elements do IMO.

A lot of promising stuff already announced for tackling the feed though, and hopefully more to come with the hints that have been dropped! Hopefully a running balance returning in some form will be part of that!

2 Likes

Is this here, I have numbers next to each day now but it doesn’t appear to be a running balance

You mean a daily spend total? That has always been there on Android, not sure about iOS.

Ah, clearly pay a lot of attention to my feed them haha, thanks!

Gosh I wish I could see my balance. It is so basic when it comes to banking.

Slide right / hold and press transaction. Anything that will just let me see my money over time, without a dozen clicks and presses feels such a core online banking concept to have removed (yes, we used to have it!).

Monzo’s next million customers will be mom-and-pop. They will not appreciate the wizadry of:

• API’s
  • CSV’s
  • PDF’s
  • exclude transaction from summary

… they will do their banking reconciliation as they have done for years by looking at their balance. They will be turned off by features that complicate that process.

I work in tech, software dev. I work on API’s. Even I don’t want to be bothered by all of this.

8 Likes

I think this is one of the things that put me off Monzo. It does have a lot of features, but many of them weren’t useful for me. Like you say, something as simple as this would be more helpful than some of the other things Monzo has.

I do hope they focus a bit more time on making sure the core banking features are extremely good in the next few months.

2 Likes

Yes! I agree, although I do love many features of Monzo, this is one of the main reasons why I currently only use my Monzo account for small/random purchases and when overseas. I am unlikely to use Monzo as my main banking provider until this and a few other features are introduced. It makes it harder to quickly notice or track any discrepancies and weirdly that makes me untrustworthy of the app.

1 Like

If a balance for each entry is considered to use up to much space In the UI, at least give the option for the following:

• per entry balance on pdf statements download
  • balance next to each day in the overview ( in my opinion the balance is more important than the current total spent per day)
1 Like

One of the most obvious uses would be to see your balance on a particular date in a month eg 21st versus last month to see how you are budgeting.

1 Like

Yeah, I thought “slide right” might be an example way to manage this.

Swipe a transaction to reveal the balance. Release it to snap back to normal.

1 Like

Any update on if this feature is gonna happen?

Unlikely but with the upcoming UI change some point in the next year you never know…