Direct Debits Mysteriously Disappearing

Perhaps there could be a notification for cancelled DD similar to when ones are setup? I never noticed mine had disappeared until it was meant to come out, which as you can imagine was really worrying. If there had been a notification I would have known in advance

5 Likes

That’s a good point and I will feed it back - especially for DDIs cancelled via the automated BACS system :+1:

7 Likes

I think this may have been me. I was having lots of issues with Virgin Credit card. I think the cause was a Direct Debit setting in the system that needed to be changed. I’ve had no issues since though.

NewDay (Debenhams) was also an issue and kept getting cancelled somehow but this card is now closed :blush:

Whilst this thread is nearly a year old, I am having an issue with a couple of Direct debits. One company claimed I had cancelled it (I hadn’t) the other just stopped taking the direct debit although nothing had changed and was still ‘live’ on Monzo’s system. The latter has caused a major issue which I am trying to get to the bottom of. The former was irritating and I just had to set the direct debit up again. Both direct debits I set up manually when I moved from my old bank account to Monzo rather than using a switching service.

Did monzo investigate on their end?

I’m having what I think is a similar problem and I’ve asked Monzo to investigate.

My council tax DD disappeared. Monzo said it was cancelled and they reinstated it for me. I hoped that would be the end of it.

But I got a letter from the Council saying that I needed to pay “Cash - Monthly” or to set up a direct debit. I’ve spoken to them this morning and they said that as it was cancelled, the letter was issued and my bill recalculated. I’m still paying for 10 months but effectively don’t pay it in June and then March, rather than Feb & March. A bit annoying but not the end of the world.

I’m more worried about how this happened because if I hadn’t noticed it, this could have caused much bigger problems as not paying Council Tax is not something that would be advised!

As there was a new DD set up for 2021/22, I cancelled the old one from last year, but I’m sure I did that as soon as the first payment went out, not after two payments. But even so, cancelling a DD from a similar name (They are slightly different for some reason) should not mean it cancels both/all of them. If I paid multiple DD to a credit card/phone/car lease for myself and my partner, cancelling one should not effect the other.

2 Likes

PayPal do similar, I’ve had issues before, unfortunately I think it’s just the way that certain companies end up processing that cancellation notice at their end.

Can’t/won’t investigate blah blah.

Not the best outcome. I’m still convinced I didn’t do it myself.