Direct Debit manual switching

If you can say which four companies you’ve tried, there might be others on the forum with experience of them who could advise. It will depend entirely on the systems in place at the organisation.

You could possibly cancel the old direct debit on your other bank’s website, and setup a new one online on the organisation’s website. But it depends on what they (the organisation who will take the debit) offer.

Also, Monzo will eventually offer the Current Account Switching Service, so you could hold fire until this is available, and it will all be done for you.

I tried:
Engie, the energy company
The Green Party
Virgin Active
Vitality Health
O2

And none of them have an option to do it online.

The only one that has, so far, is my council tax (Tower Hamlets)

I’m currently sitting in a queue listening to holding music while trying to change my mortgage Direct Debit. I’ve done the 9 or 10 easy online ones, now I’m onto the ‘annoying list’.

1 Like

Which companies do you use that require phoning (so I can avoid them :stuck_out_tongue:)?

Argh!:fearful:

I’m dealing with a perfectly charming woman at Nationwide who’s “never done this before”…

2 Likes

Unfortunatley the nature of the preview is that most of the effort is concentrated on merchant acceptance. If you take a look over here: Merchants & Banks Who Don't Yet Recognise the Monzo Current Account Sort Code / Debit Card (open Wiki) there is a list of merchants that flat out refuse to take Monzo’s details. Feel free to update if they refuse your sortcode.

You can also contact BACS to make a complaint that as a company is refusing to take Monzo’s sortcode, they are non-compliant with BACS regulations :slight_smile:

Hope that helps!

O2 can be done online think and if not you can still do sort of online via Chat.

I tried both ways but no joy.

I have a business account with O2, so I think that didn’t help.

Just tried to update my Congestion Charge Card details. Oddly enough I was able to add my Monzo card details to my account, however I was unable to do likewise for Autopay, which is what I use it for.

Got a notification that £0.00 had been taken by TFL, so they clearly support the card. Just not when using it for Autopay.

By way of an update, I called TFL with a query regarding the DD mandate form, and they actioned the DD mandate over the phone. All appears to have gone through swimmingly.

I tried TV Licensing last week and had no joy online.

I sent them an email telling them but got a reply saying I needed to ‘talk to my bank about that’.

I’ve sent them another email asking why talking to my bank would change their online system.

I’m going to try again now…

“Please check and amend your bank details.” is all I get.

@Feathers Mine went though ok 16/10/2107 but I can’t remember how I switched.

That’s strange because I updated my TVL DD about 2 months ago and it was all done online - DD will show up on your account in about 2 weeks though.

Also changed my TV License successfully ages ago (14 Sept) on their website - wonder if something’s changed? I used to pay by card manually, so Monzo CA was my first DD with them.

Well I’ve given them a ring and tred the automated voice recognition system. Let’s see where that gets me. It didn’t choke on the data at least.

I changed mine from their website last September without any fuss:

ED6A71F1-3E67-4CA6-831B-23BC1C8F4558

Did mine online about a month ago and seemed fine, though haven’t had a payment taken yet as my next one’s not due til January…

TV Licensing not working for me. Tried online and with a customer service rep to no avail

Strange! Means something has changed since it was working

So instead of updating their sort code database thing, they have downgraded - I was able to change my details online about 2 months ago.

TVL