Difficulties paying TFL with Monzo (and other cards) with Apple Pay on Apple Watch

I read the instructions, and found them helpful in understanding where in iOS to set up the Express Travel Card functionality - and thought they may be applicable here. Will know in half an hour…

EDIT (30 mins later): they weren’t, for the reasons given later in this thread :worried: I did, however, get to hear quite a few tuts as the queue behind me lengthened while I tried :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, I see now. Express Transit mode not yet available in the UK. Hopefully it won’t be too long…

1 Like

I think copying someone else is the exact opposite of innovation!

Have you updated to iOS 12.3? You can now get Express Transit Card. image

@brian.me you can setup the Express Transit card however it will not work on TfL / in the UK currently.

Express Transit is only available in:

China mainland

Japan

• All forms of transit that accept Suica

United States

• Portland: TriMet accepts payment cards in Wallet
5 Likes

I never knew this! Thanks. :smiley:

Also works with UnionPay Contactless Debit (QuickPass) cards in cities which allow card payments directly at the barriers.

The list (which I took it from the Apple support website :wink: ) is where ‘Express Transit’ is supported and not about ‘standard’ ApplePay.

To summarise, going back to the original topic of this thread, I’m definitely finding that the issue of Apple Pay only working intermittently at TFL gates is helped by both of the following:

1. Double-clicking to initiate Apple Pay a good 5 seconds before reaching the ticket barrier
  2. Being aware that some gates appear to work better than others. On my regular routes, remembering which gates appear to be the most problem free
  3. If at first the gate refuses to open, keep holding my watch on the sensor for 1-2 seconds longer, at which point it often changes its mind and opens

Grateful for anything else any of you has observed!

1 Like

Sounds like a hardware/connectivity issue with the gates then?

That’s the current theory that’s going around - as I understand it - or possibly more an issue with some gates

From what can be seen from different sources online. The Series 4 uses a newer NFC/contactless chip. TFL’s readers basically don’t like it.

There’s a macrumours forum about it that I’ve linked to :nerd_face::ok_hand:t2:

MacRumours - Apple Watch Series 4 & TFL

Hi there, I’ve recently received Monzo card and connected it to Apple Pay on my iPhone 7. It does work with supermarkets and shops/ cafes in general. However, I run into issues in public transport - TFL and buses all the time. I don’t believe the issue is with Apple Pay or transport systems as it worked perfectly with my Lloyd’s card. However, it seems the compatibility issue between transport electronic payment system and Monzo themselves. Wish it could be resolved as literally 5 minutes ago couldn’t pay on the bus and would have to start using my other card instead, so transport expenses won’t appear in Monzo budget.

Following on from the previous message, I’ve recently been getting (and on more frequent basis) the ‘Seek Assistance / Code 99’ when touching in/out. Since the last time, I now have Express Transit turned on.

Occasionally when touching in/out with Express Transit turned on, I’ll get a failure directly from Apple Pay, leading me to have to use TouchID to go through the barrier. @Rika

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.