Deprecated software you loved

(Simon B) #1

Inspired by this comment in the Targets thread:

It’s got me thinking about legacy software you once loved but doesn’t exist anymore…

in b4 someone mentions MSN Messenger :joy:

I might well have been one of a small minority (which is why it got canned) but I loved Google Wave. I got the use case instantly. In fact, my band wrote a whole album pretty much using Wave - one wave per song to write lyrics, drop in melody ideas, debate arrangements and structures, etc.

It was awesome.

A lot of it got implemented into Docs, but I still miss it.

Also Google Reader! Now that one was popular. I still don’t really understand why Google killed it. I read an interesting comment recently from my friend, Anil Dash (CEO of Fog Creek Software). He opined that the death of Google Reader was a turning point between people curating their own news feeds, to being given their own feed from an algorithm a la Facebook, which leads to corruption like the whole Cambridge Analytica thing. It’s an interesting take, and I think there’s a lot of truth in it.

What software of old do you miss?

(Jack Donovan) #2

Jesus, I really can’t think of ANY software that isn’t around now that I miss… I assume mIRC still exists? And Yeh. MSN messenger of course… I wouldn’t say I miss it though. Because I wouldn’t really use it now :joy: I do miss some of the people I met on it through… I made some great friends growing up, and I’ll never ever be able to find them again. :frowning: I used to talk to somebody called Saffron, and a goth called Faye. I’ll be happy if I ever find them lol. :rofl:

I’m shocked that I can’t think of anything though. Shocked and confused lol

I liked MSN chatrooms :frowning:

Not software but Ask Jeeves. I still tend to use overly formal search terms. And I always said please, didn’t want to offend the butler.

MS paint when it was the only option

(Jack Donovan) #5

Oh my god so did I.

I used to script and stuff. I loved it. Thought I was so cool.

Remember the quiz rooms etc? And !8ball

Ask.com still exists! Crazy how much Google dominates the search engine market :open_mouth:

I miss Microsoft Money, but also I do miss DOS from the early days of Windows when it had to be installed separately.

Encarta

Encarta Mindmaze

EXPLORAPEDIA

Genuinely how I learnt and remember the planets :blush:

(Jack Donovan) #8

I’ve just realised that I actually have one as well. Pretty sure it doesn’t exist now from what I remember?

Dreamweaver :open_mouth:

Oohh and another one, bit irrelevant now though. Limewire!

I know but Jeeves isn’t there and he made it worthwhile :grinning:

(Jack Donovan) #10

Yeh I realised that. Just. Lol, where on earth did he go. Like, that was the whole point of that search engine :S

Encarta was amazing. It saved muscle strain from having to pick up numerous editions of encyclopaedia Britannia to find the information

(Simon B) #12

That time when Wikipedia went down :joy:

Is Desktop Publisher still a thing?

I loved learning games as a kid.

(Jack Donovan) #15

I find it spooky when people just stop tweeting one day. Also, I can’t believe that hurricane katrina was 13 years ago :open_mouth:

Ohhh. Just been paid, thanks, Monzo! Haha

Microsoft Publisher is still available…

https://products.office.com/en-us/publisher

I pay for that every month and never noticed :sweat_smile:. Last time I used it was 1994 and it was terrible

I still miss the paper clip :worried:

I used the cat instead of the paperclip

It’s mostly game software that I miss. :rofl:

Ha ha, first thing I do with any PC or phone is delete all the games