Current Accounts

Heya!
I’m going abroad in September and I was wondering how does the current accounts work overseas?
I know the pre-paid card is simple and free of fees, but it by any chance I get put into the new accounts will there be any fees and alikes?

Thanks, Leo :slight_smile:

Hey!

Until you hear otherwise, the current accounts will still be fee free when you use your debit card with them abroad :tada:

If there’s anything else that you’d like to know about the current accounts, I’ve put together a list of all of the details that Monzo’s shared about them & the debit cards here -

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it will be the same, it would be a huge step backward if they withdrew one of the most sought after aspects of Monzo from the current account. However maybe someone at Monzo can 100 percent confirm as certain features may take a while to implement?
Don’t forget you can still use the prepaid card!

Anybody used the current account abroad yet? :eyes:

Yes, have been using mine in Greece since Sunday. Identical to the pre-paid, fee free transactions, and fee free ATM withdrawals (for now at least!)

Sweet. The reason I ask is the only problem we’ve had previously with the Monzo pre-paid is at the pay at the pump petrol stations abroad. I know this is a known issue in the UK, but you sometimes can’t get around it with the petrol stations near the airport, as they physically don’t have anywhere to pay in person usually.

Hoping to receive my card either tomorrow or Monday so will ‘top up’ that to take with me on holiday on Friday. :smile::sunny:

Haven’t tried that, where I am they have all been cash only so far.

They haven’t fully resolved this for UK petrol stations yet so don’t rely on it working abroad!?

1 Like

Aha I presumed the issue would have been solved with the Current Account. Not a problem, I’ll be taking my other cards with me anyhow. :smile:

Edit: Just read the topic regarding the new 2nd version of the card that they’ll roll out in the future solves the offline transaction issues.

1 Like

In case anyone’s wondering, here’s the links to the topics that Feathers & Adam are referring to:

3 Likes

Hey :wave:t2:, just to note…

Just used my Monzo Debit Card at a prepaid petrol station here in Cyprus and worked perfectly. The transaction did come straight off my balance however, so maybe they work slightly different to the U.K. ones!

1 Like