CSV Exports

Only reason is technical complexity

1 Like

It would be great if the auto export could be more in line with the manual export in terms of information includedā€¦ which perhaps might be easier if the process didnā€™t depend on IFTTTā€¦ say if it were done in-appā€¦ through an automatic export to google drive :wink: But seriously, for power users and data hoarders, automating the process of updating their financial spreadsheets would save a bunch of time.

1 Like

Iā€™d love to see what these spreadsheets have in them (without any sensitive data on it). What type of analysis charts, tables, insights, etc do you all find useful? What do you use it for? Would be great if anyone wants to share a template of their own sheet? (DMs welcome).

2 Likes

I download my monthly expenditure as a CSV from my aggregator [MDB] and use categories in Numbers to sort if into useful analysis to read against household bills/budget. The one snag at present is Tescobank who it seems do not as yet have a useful API - and - a CSV from them is in a different format. I am really hoping that MDB or YOLT or SNOOP are able to apply some leverage on Tescobank to make my life easier. R-

I looked at transactions per date/day, time of transaction, how many days I spent zero, counted my spends at different retailers for transaction count, average etc.

I havenā€™t built any charts or anything. Itā€™s mostly just SUMIF/COUNTIF

Iā€™ve not really done much with this as itā€™s a pain to get around the formatting issue in the first place.

However, this did prompt me to realise that I use IFTTT to write all my spending to a Google Sheet, which Iā€™ve just downloaded and it is much easier to manipulate.

One usage: Monthly Expenses - I claim my bus pass (monthly) and my lunches (daily) so with this Google Sheet I can easily filter/total up what Iā€™ve spent my lunches on (hint: if we had custom categories this would be even easier with a LUNCH category).

Looking at the data: I need to spend less on coffees through the week.

I guess for me the ability to, over time, see trends and then put in steps if I donā€™t like what I see is the main use. Think of the ā€œYear in Monzoā€ but on a rolling basis. Iā€™d rather see that Iā€™m spending too much in place X sooner rather than later.

I tag my lunches with #lunch so that I can filter the transactions by this tag. Unfortunately the IFTTT auto export doesnā€™t include the notes field, so I depend on having the manually export every few days.
These graphs give you an idea of what Iā€™m doing with my spreadsheets;

If you want a template that you can drop your raw CSV data into, let me know. Its done in google sheets.

9 Likes

Wow, this all looks awesome! Link me up with that template!

Argh, this is disappointing. Iā€™ve just turned it on but if that field is missing and with limited categories, I might not bother with it.

The issue is that the transactions are added immediately with IFTTT (before youā€™ve had a chance to add a note). So unless they can somehow seek the right transaction and update that entry every time you make changes to the notes, then its going to be a bit challenging.

TBH, Iā€™m probably nerdy enough that Iā€™d check/update it on a daily basis anyway.

1 Like

These are so cool! Thank you so much for sharing @Lewis_P!! :hot_coral_heart:

3 Likes

Method of payment would be helpful too:

• Card (online / offline / CNP)
  • BACS
  • Faster Payments (Account Number & Sort Code)
  • ACH
  • Swift
  • MasterCard Send
  • Paypoint
  • Check
1 Like

It would be very helpful to have a running balance column in the CSV export. At the moment, I have to do an ā€˜all timeā€™ export and add a (very long) calculated column just to see the running balance for a recent month or year.

Yes please! And remove the T and Z altogether. But definitely two columns.

1 Like

For me the following would be really useful:

Splitting the date and time into separate columns. If all transactions are in Z then as long as the location is provided individuals can convert this to a specific time zone.

Breaking the description down to provide business name, town and country all separately

Outputting the tags as separate columns

Adding a column to state which individual from a joint accnt made the transaction

Adding pots to the output so you can track the growth/decline of a pot with time

Perhaps add either, the lat and long of transaction locations or the postcode to enable graphical representation of where your card has been used.

3 Likes

Nice idea, but Iā€™m not sure itā€™s always useful. If you do any online shopping, have a look at ā€˜whereā€™ your card was used, might skew the results a little.

I appreciate that the location of the vendor is not always what you may expect, however Monzo already presents us with this information on a map each time we make a transaction therefore why not export this data too?

3 Likes

I agree completely.

Like my TV licence for example, or the fact that I have cinema visits over 400 miles away :smiley:

1 Like