CSV Exports

The data structure of our existing CSV export is a bit out of date.
If you could change anything in the data structure, what would you do?

8 Likes

Date & time in separate columns would be a good start. I realise itā€™s easy enough to extrapolate it yourself, but itā€™s easier if itā€™s done for you.

7 Likes

I think options built around where the output will be used is the best route forward?
CSV for Excel
CSV for [finance app A]

But the date/time piece is probably key.

So, is this part of a ā€˜Whatā€™s Nextā€™ piece of work? #soon

1 Like

use of colours to differentiate categories

But what happens when (if?!) we get custom categories? Hmmm set them to match the colour in the app I guess?

1 Like

I donā€™t think you can do that in a CSV.

2 Likes

:man_shrugging: :grinning:

I would suggest - Time is 09:33:50 Zulu - a term for UCT as used in Military and Aviation settings.

R-

Personally I found the ā€˜descriptionā€™ column problematic. Itā€™s tricky to extract a list of retailers from this column since its used for other info such as whether its a pot transfer. I found a workaround that involved showing only the items that included a bunch of spaces, since the retailer information is typically formatted with large spaces between the name, region and nation. Perhaps a column could be added that provides the type of transaction; Pot Transfer, Faster Payment, P2P payment, Direct Debit, Card Check, card payment, cash withdrawal. So that this is kept separate from the retailer, payer and recipient information.

I also agree that the time date format for the ā€œcreatedā€ column is not very user friendly when brought into google sheets or excel.

4 Likes

This is correct, itā€™s an ISO (International Organization for Standardization) date/time format, itā€™s the standard we use at work too.

I know WHAT it is but no idea why itā€™s in a CSV export from a consumer app.

User friendly date preferred even if it doesnā€™t conform to an ISO standard

1 Like

Please please keep ISO 8601.

I have transactions in multiple time zones. If the data is split it makes my life harder.

• MCC codes

• TX type (Contactless, Apple Pay, Mag Stripe, Chip) Lloyds does this one well.

• CVM method

3 Likes

My apologies - I misunderstood.

R-

1 Like

No worries!

This is the point of using iso8601 formatting; it avoids any ambiguity. Iā€™d prefer it to stay as it is but having an extra ā€œReadableā€ version probably wouldnā€™t hurt.

I get what youā€™re saying but Iā€™d be really interested in how much of the user base actually bothers exporting transactions and (weā€™ll never get data on this) how many of these arenā€™t familiar enough with Excel to achieve what they want.

3 Likes

No reason they canā€™t do both.

For those of us who Excel now and then, a nicer format for that would help.
For those who need the ISO style data, then retain that.

Iā€™m in the ā€˜give me it like a bank statementā€™ side of the argument, and they never ever come with timezone info in them (historically/legacy etc I know).

But yeah, no reason they canā€™t do both/all/more.

The PDF export does have a more readable date if that works for you?

Ehhh thanks, Iā€™m aware of the options, but I canā€™t (easily) import a PDF into Excel.

Personally I want the lowest friction solution. Export to XLS, open in Excel and have the data ā€˜understoodā€™ without having to do any formatting/transformations.

Anyway, what other options do other people want?

I thought the date was always in UTC regardless of the local time at the merchant location? :thinking:

This seems overkill? Thereā€™s so many MCC (Mastercard Merchant Codes - list) that it makes them of little use to look at aggregate data, also lots of merchants have the wrong MCC.

Whatā€™s the use case for these two?

Very few customers do a manual export, more people use the IFTTT integration to auto-export (and thatā€™s also low).

1 Like

Is there a reason why the IFTTT auto-export contains less information than the manual export?