CSV Exports

I suspect someone missed a 5 on the front of the latitude of the lat and long of your TV licence> Blockquote

Possibly :man_shrugging:

I’ve just had another quick look and here is Amazon Prime purchase in Luxembourg
 :confused:

And I went to a cash machine 600 miles away at some point.

The point is that they’re not at all accurate. It’s just a nice gimmick (if that’s the word) to see them all overlaid on a map - but I certainly wouldn’t rely on them for anything else :slight_smile: This isn’t the fault of Monzo, it’s just the information they’re sent.

The Amazon one could be accurate, if they based the transaction in Luxembourg for some reason.

1 Like

It will be, Amazon for the Uk is operated by Amazon Europe which is run out of Luxembourg

Edit:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201909000 Bullet 18 shows addresses

1 Like

@bruno My water bill from Dwr Cymru is listed as “UNPAID DD (Direct Debit)” in the description field of my CSV export, despite the app correctly identifying it as from Dwr Cymru with the correct logo and being debited from my account every month no problem. Should I flag this as “SOMETHING WRONG? TELL US!” in app or is this expected behavior?

I’d think this is unrelated to any work we’re doing here at the moment, and will be down to some weird merchant data we received, meaning it’s expected behaviour. But just in case, can you DM me the transaction_id for this payment?

Great idea, we’ve added a new column with this info called Type!

Yeah location isn’t always accurate. We get very basic data from Mastercard and run our own enrichment on top (for the name, logo, category and location). It works okay for a pretty feed, but I don’t think it’s that useful to drill down into spending insights based on location data. We’ll still keep the current address column but won’t expand on it.

Noted, we’ll make two user friendly date and time columns.

We’ve added a new column for counterparty, this will include the pretty merchant name, or name of the other person when it’s a P2P/FPS. The new column Type includes whether it’s Mastercard, P2P, FPS, Cheque, etc, which leaves Description to show any additional information as an optional column.

This is progressing well but you won’t see any changes in the app just yet. We’ll let you know once it’s live :+1:

11 Likes

Sounds great. Will this include the pot name as a recipient? So for example the type would be pot transfer and the counterparty would be the pot name? This may make it easier to track individual pot balances (if you ignore the issues that will arise when renaming pots and conflicts that might occur if you name your pot the same as an existing counterparty)

Very exciting that CSVs are getting some love! Have you decided against including a Balance column, or is that still being considered? :crossed_fingers:

That is great!

Maybe we could get a PotID included as well?

1 Like

Wonderful!

I’ll wait quietly now but very pleased this will be added.

Yes, Yes.

6 Likes

Amazon is using ISO formatting too.

What’s your point?

It is better!

For who?

I understand standards, I work with them. But this is NOT better for most people who just want a date and time that looks like a date and time. STORE the data that way, sure, but give users an option that makes sense to them.

I’m guessing but confident it is the larger share of Monzo users who would better understand a date and time expressed a different way.

Anyway, it’s been stated it will be an option, so let’s end this discussion and agree to disagree.

2 Likes

The issue is it is unambiguous.

Without specifics, given CSV is plaintext, dates could be interpreted incorrectly dd/mm/yyyy or mm/dd/yyyy

And the majority of users will accept that and figure it out when they see 23/02/20 or some such.

Think about the humans who will use this. Not the technology. Not everyone thinks the way you or I do. There are other options.

Done now. No point arguing with someone who just wants to argue.

3 Likes

@bruno, I don’t know if you are aware of this (I wasn’t before today), but the CSV format is slightly different depending on whether you export the CSV as a statement (from the Summary screen) compared with exporting a CSV from a search result in the main feed. As part of your work to clean up the CSV export, could you make the format consistent between the search and statement exports?

Also, the search export includes transactions from the prepaid card, whereas the statement export excludes all prepaid transactions. This means there’s no (easy?) way to get an ‘All Time’ export that includes prepaid transactions.

Statement export headers:

id,created,amount,currency,local_amount,local_currency,category,emoji,description,address,notes,receipt,category_split

Search export headers: (omits category_split)

id,created,amount,currency,local_amount,local_currency,category,emoji,description,address,notes,receipt

Statement export line:

tx_00009fUViogGs8ECOCftB4,2019-01-05T14:35:41Z,-1.45,GBP,-1.45,GBP,General,📼,POST OFFICE COUNTER    TOWNNAME     GBR,17 Any Road,,

Search export line:

tx_00009fUVvogGs8ECOCftB4,2019-01-05 14:35:41 +0000,- 1.45,GBP,- 1.45,GBP,general,📼,Post Office,"17 Any Road, TownName AN1 4XX",

Differences:

• search export date format is different, doesn’t include T or Z, uses spaces and a time zone offset instead
  • search export has - sign separated from the amount by a space
  • statement export capitalises category name, search export doesn’t; additionally, not shown in this example, the statement export uses a space between a two-word category name, whereas the search export uses an underscore
  • statement export uses card network merchant name with town name and country in all caps, search export uses Monzo’s corrected and properly capitalised name
  • statement export address includes only the building number and street name, search export provides proper full address with postcode (presumably from Monzo’s merchant enrichment database)
  • search export is missing the category_split column (as noted in the headers :arrow_up:)
6 Likes

Hey @jzw95 that’s really interesting, I wasn’t aware of the difference either!!

I think we’ll keep this out of scope. Search is something completely different that should be kept separate from this. I’m pretty sure Search exports are calculated locally from the feed, that’s why it includes Prepaid data.

This is what we have right now, will likely be the final format. Here’s how a P2P looks like.

3 Likes