COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

I know this isn’t B&M’s fault, but they could take the non essential items off the shelf, making more room to sell food and cleaning items.

1 Like

The video below contains swear words so I’ve added a spoiler.

Grim gran explains it how it is :laughing:

1 Like

I had a similar conversation with my wife about Home Bargains cordoning off the non food/medicine items.

The management said they considered doing it, but the reason they havent is because it is actually reducing the amount of people going over the road to the Tesco Extra store, so it is actually helping relieve the pressure that Tesco would have been under otherwise, with the same idiots wanting to trawl the store looking for a Pinata or a pack of Blu Tack.

1 Like

Couldn’t the managers of those particular Tesco and B&M stores make a gentleman’s agreement?

To be honest, I wish my wifes particular store would close. The horror stories im getting told on a daily basis is ridiculous. For example, today one of her colleagues was given a tirade of abuse from someone after being asked to adhere to the floor markings for social distancing… ironically this moron was wearing some sort of WWII gas mask at the time!

There’s also a Lidl at the opposite side of her store, so for me the store doesn’t need to be open.

1 Like

They might… when the list is done, the letters are sent out (I’ve heard of nobody receiving one so far). However at the moment online delivery is booked up for months and effectively unavailable.

‘By making more profit we’re helping!’

1 Like

This looks promising.

If they make 50k in a day, that’s more than enough for every doctors surgery in the UK.

Letters have definitely gone out, one of the guys at my work got one tuesday.
He has COPD. Tells him to isolate for 12 weeks, how to get support etc and to tell his employer. and he can be furloughed

That’s the first I’ve heard of anyone getting one, including a several people I know on PIP, my own mother who has COPD, and myself (Transplant) and my wife (Asthma).

I was told for my son, to start 12 weeks “social” isolation a week before the lock down as on steroids for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD), by our steroid trial Dr/Nurse, yet my wife should still go to work, until the lockdown, i am my sons carer so apparently I am also in the vulnerable group, still awaiting “this letter”
@TonyHoyle I will say there is a massive issue with Royal Mail I believe, we sent a Mother’s Day Card the Wednesday b4 and it didn’t arrive until Thursday just gone from Edinburgh to Gloucester :wink:

My mother-in-law posted posted us something last week from England to NI and it still hasn’t arrived. Royal Mail are under a lot of pressure right now I believe.

You would hope that those letters where the highest priority.

Like people getting UC even before the pandemic is was anything from 4-8 weeks can’t see letters being any quicker :wink:

1 Like

Meanwhile I await HMRC to call me about the self employed scheme :rofl:

But even that won’t get paid until June, I started my own side business last July, but with outgoings and income I think on average a month I may have £50 :wink: but am slowly doing things, as it’s web hosting and voice comms 90% is automated unless I get support tickets etc, and the money that comes in stays in my Monzo business account too, no drawings currently as saving to get a nice new Mac on expenses.

I do need an account though as the one that registered me as a sole trader I’ve not heard from since January after an email and a call for him to tell me, “January is not a good month for me and I will call in February” :joy::wink:

I’m pleading with the store I work at to shorten opening hours and ensure no more than 20 people are inside at a time. They’ve just assumed things can be run as normal with a few posters about social distancing plastered about.

It’s impossible to be expected to do anything more than do tills/ self service tills when social distancing. I hate that we’re expected to stock shelves, reduce and all the other stuff when there’s morons and families all over the place. Some people are great - they’ll ask if they can get something from 2 metres away - others will basically reach and clamber over you - and then apologize(?!). There’s people coming in for a bottle of beer and some sweets. People who visit everyday to goggle gormlessly at the reduced items. People need to get a grip and realise that this isn’t a day out - it’s not normal - you’ve come for essentials to ultimately help you survive and stay at home.

Things need to get a lot stricter and they probably will. I still don’t think many people understand the importance of taking this seriously. And it’s so demoralising to experience it everyday.

8 Likes

I really think this will be the week people in the UK start to take this thing seriously and we see a proper shift in behaviour. The death rate is about to go on a sharp upward trend, and it’s sad but it seems like that’s what it’s going to take for people to stop being so complacent.

The numbers are all there for people to see just how bad this is going to be.

• It can take up to 14 days to show symptoms so the effects of our ‘lockdown’ aren’t even visible in the new case numbers yet.
  • 17,098 have tested positive, most of these will be more serious cases given how we’re currently testing.
  • Those who die tend to do so 9-14 days after showing symptoms. This is the real tragic part because we haven’t even begun to see the worst of it.
  • On top of that we’re still seeing around 2.5k new cases serious enough for a test every day.
  • Plus our current mortality trajectory is in line with Italy.

You quickly start to see why that 4000 bed hospital in Excel is needed and just how serious the next few weeks are going to be. I’d love to be wrong about all of this, but the data is there for all to see.

It’s sad to say it but behaviour will change once people start dying in mass numbers and Coronavirus goes from something people only hear about in the news to something that they feel is a direct risk to their health.

1 Like

My partner received both the text and the letter.

Ironically we’ve been trying to get access to a Sainsbury’s delivery slot via the telephone line they setup for vulnerable people and have been unable to get through. We also happen to be ‘Delivery Pass’ customers with Sainsbury’s and received an e-mail a couple of days ago saying they had some spare slots for delivery pass customers and we got one straight away :man_shrugging: and it arrived yesterday.

My father-in-law has a letter earlier in the week followed by Sainsbury’s ringing them up to sort out the shopping. I was quite impressed by that particular interaction of government and industry.

We haven’t been out of the house much in the last two weeks so our window of possible exposure is closing down. I hope. Not all of us would be expected to survive a bout of this (although no letter yet) so caution is priority 1.

I can’t understand those who are carrying on as normal. OK, if it’s all a big con and the conspiracy theories are true for the first time ever then I’ll look a bit silly in a few months time but I can live with that. If it’s not then I hope we’ll all be alive in a few months time where we might not have been otherwise.

It sounds horribly melodramatic to actually write it down :joy:

4 Likes