COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

I love the conspiracy that someone in a lab somewhere thought a man made virus with a 2% mortality was a success. :rofl:

2 Likes

In this for the long run!

Im not convinced people will change to be honest.

This whole situation has only reinforced my view that there are a lot of people in the UK that are complete and total morons with not an ounce of common sense between them, and add in the fact that they extremely selfish creates a very dangerous mix which I think is virtually impossible to reverse.

People die of cancer all the time, but it doesn’t stop people smoking,etc…

11 Likes

I hope you’re not right @Brian_L but I think you might be there.

2 Likes

I’ve struggled. I’m waiting on a TRX to turn up. But I can feel my muscle mass going as I stopped going due to injury about 2 weeks prior to this starting and was only ready to go back just as they started the lockdown. I am itching to do something more than press-ups!!

As if this weren’t confirmed ages ago.

I hope I’m not right either, but in the past 10 mins I’ve witnessed 3 different sets of neighbours coming home with their “shopping” none of which would probably be deemed as essential. All travelling in pairs.

We’re fighting a battle on two fronts when it should only be the virus that we need to fight.

While the rest of your post is great, this is not accurate. It’s going to continue at exactly the same exponential rate until we see lockdown and school closure effects start to kick in. This is exactly as predicted by all the latest simulations.

This exponential rate will not be increasing even if the daily number of dead will for some time still be increasing each day.

At present if we don’t see a change in the rate we will hit 10k deaths on 7 April.

Actually the data say closer to 11-22 days so there’s even more of a lag.

Whilst I don’t believe it, you are working on the assumption that its aim was to kill people. Another perspective is that if it was designed to disrupt economies, it was a huge success.

Brilliant we have someone then who can explain to us that it was made in a lab.

Can’t wait to hear your expertise on the subject.

1 Like

I’ll get in early with the debunking:

3 Likes

Except we know it wasn’t, it’s already a proven fact. And the problem with that conspiracy is it would be fairly easy to work out which country it came from :rofl:

I’m a little out of my depth here, but I’m fairly certain new infections haven’t been increasing exponentially so it’s reasonable to assume that deaths won’t increase exponentially either. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong here.

Graph below - source: Peng Wu / DHSC

So assuming the full 14 days to show symptoms plus the full 22 days until death that’s 36 days.

If we then put that alongside the two instructions from the PM:
Social distancing - 16th March
Reflected in infection numbers from: 31st March
Reflected in death numbers from: 23rd April

You must stay at home - 23rd March
Reflected in infection numbers from: 7th April
Reflected in death numbers from: 30th April

That’s obviously all on the extreme side of things when in reality most infections and deaths will happen earlier, but it gives you an idea of just how long this will all be going on for and why it’s wrong to say that our current ‘lockdown’ isn’t working - it’s way too early to make that judgement.

One final thing is that none of this takes into account infections taking place within households. Just because people are locked down doesn’t mean they won’t spread it to the people they live with - that’s part of the reason why Italy’s infection numbers are still so high despite being in lockdown for so long.

I should point out that I’m not even close to being an expert in this field, everything above is based on the data and facts we have available. I could be wildly wrong, and in some ways I hope I am.

1 Like

If anything I’m exercising even more now, mostly at home and with the occasional bike ride . Hope you guys are all well and OK

2 Likes

Not sure if you are right or wrong @RichardL but I like the logic. The thing is - will the virus behave accordingly. R-

1 Like

Boris Johnson warns stricter restrictions may be applied to halt covid 19.
According to BBC news
Wonder what’s next then

Everyone is Playing by the rules in my town

No more than 2 people in an online forum at a time or they’ll cancel the internet

12 Likes

I would image any (or all) of:

• People from the same household can not go out together
  • All non-essential business forced to close
  • Roadblocks on inter-regional roads - for Police to stop and question about journey
  • Long distance trains cut back significantly further than they already are
  • Enforced restrictions on international flights including quarantine for arrivals
  • Night-time curfew
2 Likes

The problem is ‘playing by the rules’ includes packed underground trains from lots of businesses that have deemed their employees ‘essential’.

Without full lockdown we’re merely delaying the spread, not stopping it… I doubt the government is prepared to go that far though, since delaying may be enough (and was the original plan, slow it down, everyone gets it but not at the same time so the NHS can cope).

2 Likes

Two things can both be increasing exponentially, but at different rates. For example, if something doubles every two days, that is an exponential increase. If something else doubles every two years, that is also an exponential increase, but at a slower rate.

Infections tend to be exponential by definition because an exponential is something where the number of existing cases affects the number of future cases, as long as all other factors remain constant.

Assuming a constant proportion of infections resulting in a fatality (e.g. 2%) the number of deaths will also be exponential.

4 Likes