COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Oh lord please don’t try to find anomalies where there aren’t any. You have to set a limit somewhere, otherwise with your logic you could start asking for a certificate from 1 person too

Or do you question theme park rides where you have to be X tall to ride; or age limits on driving/alcohol consumption?

2 Likes

OK, maybe that was a bit daft, but I do believe we are on sticky ground with this covid pass regime.

I have listened/read quite a lot from Donald C MacCleod (one of the best known nightclub and bar operators in Scotland) and as he has said:
“I own bars with a dancefloor which are bigger than some of my nightclubs, so what is the difference?”

You would think with Donald being

he’d know the difference between a bar and a nightclub, but I guess all those late nights may have made things a bit fuzzy, bless him.

3 Likes

I was referring to actual numbers in the venues.

New studies:

Unvaccinated are 5X more likely to catch delta, 11X more likely to die

As far as I know, by the end of June anyone over 18 registered with a GP in England was eligible to use the “National Booking Service” website to book their vaccine appointments basically anywhere in England. Whether there was good availability everywhere I don’t know, but I think they were doing “Grab a Jab” events in various places in July.

1 Like

I’m still waiting for kebab for jab to have a wider rollout :wink:

1 Like

Vaccine passport update: Nope.

2 Likes

But the move also represents a significant concession to Tory backbench rebels who had complained that enforcing vaccine passports would create a group of second-class citizens.

Can’t read further, but ‘nuff said

1 Like

Being in a slightly odd political position of being libertarian and also left wing, once in a while I find myself in alignment with the Tory back bench and it always makes my skin crawl slightly.

3 Likes
6 Likes

Only in events of self isolation, which is fair enough I think.

I presume they won’t be including those who are medically exempt though, which is my concern with something like this, because how do you assess that without prying into deeply personal aspects of an employee’s life. Which could have knock on consequences, like workplace discrimination, redundancy, etc. I’ve seen both happen as a result of someone choosing to be forthright with their hidden disability.

That’s my issue with things like this. I firmly believe it’s the wrong approach to the issue, and I’m worried that more folk aren’t speaking out against that, because it’s dangerously close to treading over the line into Orwellian territory.

Why or whether someone is or isn’t vaccinated is no one else’s business, unless they make both known to you, in which case you can then feel free to treat them accordingly.

But punishing those who don’t get vaccinated is the wrong approach, in my opinion. It’s not dissimilar to trying to bully people into compliance, and that’s not right to me. It’s the sort of behaviour that adds weight to the dangerous misinformation that led to the antivax movements in the first place. They’re going to start posing questions like if the conspiracy theory I believe isn’t true then why are they trying to force me to comply?. Instead, I think we should be challenging the antivax perception and incentivising uptake.

Systemic coercion makes that task of challenging perceptions all the much harder, and acceptance creates precedent for more totalitarian measures in more parts of our lives. People are not all unreachable, so long as you empathise rather than vilify.

If we’re at that point, where we need Orwellian precedent, then we’ve already lost. Both at defending against the virus and protecting our progressive society.

2 Likes

Then again this is a private relationship between employer and employee. Why should Morrison’s have to pay out sick pay to people who made a choice not to get vaccinated? It shouldn’t be on private businesses to bear that cost.

This seems fair to me.

5 Likes

But aren’t the vaccinated now exempt from having to isolate if they get pinged?

Being pinged was never a legal requirement to isolate.
Vaccinated people don’t have to isolate if they are in close contact with a positive person - either via pinging or Test & Tracd.

1 Like

Update to the news article posted by @BenLeo

As well as vaccine passports being axed, Health Secretary wants rid of PCR testing requirement for travel too.

Is he the health secretary or the herd immunity secretary?

One thing they could bloody get rid of, or update the requirements for, is the pre-departure negative test when coming back. It clearly doesn’t work given that we were one of the first countries to get the Delta variant really bad, and it’s just there to mess up people’s plans. It’s currently preventing me from going to see family abroad – they have almost no cases but I fear I’ll catch it in the UK and won’t be able to return to work on time

Wouldn’t be surprised if it was a move to boost domestic tourism at this point

1 Like

True. But if you have COVID you need to self isolate for at least 10 days and the jab theoretically reduces the chance of you getting COVID. The Delta variant is more easily contacted though as we know.

I’ve worked in NHS trusts which won’t pay sick pay if you’ve chosen not have the flu jab (that’s chosen, not can’t) and you’re off with the flu, so this is an obvious step for some employers to take.

The hospitals I’ve worked in recently have also insisted we take annual leave or unpaid leave if needing to quarantine after returning from abroad, as again, it’s a personal choice to go abroad and they’re refusing to pay / take the risk financially for our choices.

4 Likes

Providing you’re vaccinated, and aren’t travelling against government or medical advice, good insurance will have you covered if this happens.

This is something that needs fixing and a consistent policy needs to be made. It’s not always a personal choice, or not a choice that’s not as simple to make as “do I go to Penzance or Mallorca”. Instead, current rules are preventing (sensible) people from visiting sick or elderly relatives because compassionate leave doesn’t cover having to visit someone then having to quarantine