COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Interesting. I don’t think I’ve seen a policy yet that covers loss of income due to inability to return to work but will have to look into it

I don’t think there are any that cover loss of income, though I could be wrong. They’ll cover just about everything else though.

A positive test there, would be no different than here in my view, in that you have to self isolate. So in theory, your insurance will be the equaliser by making your circumstances as if you tested positive at home.

We’ve got ABTA’s TravelSure insurance in the event we do actually go abroad in October, which mitigates just about every Covid threat that concerns us, outside my fear of actually catching it and becoming ill.

They have a good section here on what is or isn’t covered, and I’m sure others will have similar too.

1 Like

Well, our Gov have managed to make the travel rules even more complicated :rofl:

1 Like

Don’t think any of it is more complicated. If anything, simpler and arguably less secure

To be frank I’m just happy that pre-departure testing is going away (although BBC are saying PCR when I thought lat flow was just as good for coming back)

1 Like

It’s a mess! Caused a debate between myself and two siblings back in England.

if we do go on holiday in 17 days, I’m still erring on the side of cancelling, we leave from and return to Edinburgh.

But they’re in England, not Scotland, and thought the English rules would apply to them, in that they wouldn’t need a pre departure test to return to the UK. For all I know they may be right. There isn’t much clarity. And the disparity between the countries within our country doesn’t help.

In any case, we’ll all still be taking the pre-departure test regardless. I presume given these rules don’t apply to Scotland, you’d need it to board the flight home anyway. Or maybe since they’re technically from and will be returning to England after landing Scotland they won’t need to.

Better safe than sorry I think, and just proceed as if these new rules don’t exist.

As far as I’m aware it’s PCR until the actual date for change has been announced (yes, more confusion)

And you are right, although your siblings are English, if they are arriving back into Scotland then they will still need the pre-departure PCR as although Scotland has changed their traffic light system, they are keeping the PCR requirements

1 Like

Is it? It’s doing pretty much what the media have been moaning about - removing the amber list, and reducing tests required.

From October 4 the lists will be reduced to YES or NO basically. From a date to be announced there will be no PCR test. Just wait for the date, and until that time you need a PCR test.

I can’t fathom how people want things done and when the government actually do it it’s still confusing for them? It’s really not.

As for Scotland/England etc, this is what devolution is about, and is a consequence of it. Don’t blame the UK government for that, this was voted on and wanted by the devolved nations.

1 Like

This won’t help

Make’s you wonder just how much money is being made out of this whole thing, and who is making it. :thinking:

Well they have to be made by someone, and they are currently free. Why must everything be some conspiracy?

1 Like

You’re new to the internet, aren’t you?

4 Likes

BRB, just setting up ICQ Messenger.

3 Likes

Say hi to Tom at MySpace if you get a chance

1 Like

No conspiracy, just logic.
PCR tests free on NHS, around £100 (and pay VAT) for travel.
They’ve been giving away LFT like they’re going out of fashion, but now they’re going to have to be paid for too.

Plus if LFT is perfectly ok for vaccinated, then why are non vaccinated still required to take day 2 and 8 PCR? (and isolate for 10 days)

Yes because travel is (broadly) not essential. Many things in the NHS are free when you medically need them and not when you choose to get them.

They cost the NHS money. At some point the idea of every single person being able to order 7 per day has to be reduced.

It’s called risk. Vaccinated are lower risk so have added protection that accompanies the LFT. Non-vaccinated do not.

2 Likes

Risk that defies logic.
Non vaccinated will have taken a pre-departure PCR, whereas the vaccinated won’t, so only those who are not vaccinated will have proof of negative test when they get on the plane.
Non vaccinated take another PCR on day 2, whereas vaccinated take LFT on day 2 (ok for argument’s sake we’ll assume both tests are as accurate as each other)
Non vaccinated take day 8 PCR.

Now if everything we have been told about asymptomatic transmission is right, vaccinated are more of a risk than unvaccinated due to not having to test.

I really don’t have the time to go around in circles with you on this, suffice to say I have no medical expertise and neither do 90% of the people who seem to have an opinion on these matters and yet they are given the same credence as the people who do.

So forgive me but until you bring out your medical degree I’m using science and medical experts who know more.

3 Likes

I’m not trying to argue with anyone, but why has this one subject has caused so much animosity amongst people.
There must be hundreds of threads on this forum where people have expressed many opinions on any number of subjects, yet anything that doesn’t follow the official narrative on Covid is shot down as a conspiracy theory or loony ramblings.
Surely I’m not the only one on here who is even the slightest bit sceptical?

Opinions on, say, the colour of a Monzo card, or whether support is good or bad, or whether Monzo Plus offerings are good or not are very different to opinions on medical requirements at a national/international/government level.

There are, of course, rights that allow you to express your opinion (which you are, nothing appears to be preventing that) but on some subjects I’m afraid your opinion is not as equal to people who are experts in those fields.

This is why your opinion, to me, is to be taken far lower down the pecking order than that of scientists and medical experts.

You’re certainly not the only person I’m sure who is skeptical, but nothing has been said (so far) that really has any good cause or evidence for such skepticism.

Personally, you have said things that I believe sound like a conspiracy, or at least attempting to find one in government policy. I choose not to run to that outcome. Many, I am sure, will believe as you do, so no worries about you being on your own in your beliefs.

12 Likes

Maybe some of the things I have said yes, and if I have I’m sorry.
But an awful lot of decisions that I have questioned just seem to defy logic, or seem to be more politically based than health based.