COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Surely it should be the same, or one working on the same principle

1 Like

I was told that it would be either Moderna or Pfizer, rather than AZ, even if you had the AZ vaccine. I’m happy with that as I was always concerned about the effect of the AZ adenovirus on the immune system (i.e. the immune system responding to the adenovirus and weakening the AZ vaccine’s effect in subsequent vaccinations).

The Russian Sputnik vaccine rather cleverly used two different adenoviruses in an attempt to mitigate this (but they had all sorts of other issues).

No, I’m happy with an mRNA vaccine as a booster this time.

1 Like

You would think! But our country has shown us time and again, they’d rather surprise us than be logical and do as others are doing!

I’m sure I read earlier today that both Pfizer and AZ had been approved for use as booster jabs, which is partly why I’m asking.

2 Likes

AZ & Pfizer have been cleared for boosters. There are trials going on atm about mixing to see if it’s better for someone to get a booster in a vaccine they didn’t have.

All a month off at least I’d imagine for the wider population.

1 Like

I can possibly see uptake being less than first time around as people tire of the constant barrage of all things covid.

I can possibly see them becoming a requirement for the vaccine passports. If they go ahead. When widespread offerings start.

I believe Israel only consider 3x vaccined people fully vaccinated.

3 Likes

I see the opposite. Most want it all to be over and things to go back to normal.

These seem to mainly be for vulnerable people. Like NHS staff, so they’d be foolish not to protect themselves.

Its not even that much of a hassle to get them done anymore either, because you don’t even need to book for your vaccine. Just pop in to any conveniently located centres and you’re done in under 30 minutes.

Especially with work restrictions as well as social ones coming into force, it makes even more sense to keep on top of them.

2 Likes

Obviously, I can only gauge opinion from within my own social circle, probably as we all can.
Maybe it has something to do with the fact we have all worked throughout this, but the vast majority are against vaccine passports/booster jabs/reintroducing restrictions.

Time will tell. Most of the country are now fully vaccinated so let’s look at the facts later :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What will time tell though? Most of the country was double vaccinated more than 3 weeks ago which means that they already reached peak immunity.

Out of genuine interest what do you think is going to change from here and why?

Whether the boosters will be successful or not as @Ivan1954 says

If people will lose their “fully vaccinated” status without a booster and/or as immunity decreases (I was vaccinated 2 months ago so am expecting that to start to happen a in a month or two) people will have to go and get jabbed again

3 Likes

I think for these things we can look towards the countries who are leading the way with tremendous pace. We’re seeing boosters become a requirement to remain fully vaccinated.

My concern is with our vaccination pace relative to the pace at which England will move the goal posts.

We saw in Scotland that they’re mandating vaccine passports too, but they waited until everyone has been offered both doses. Which I think is a much better and fairer approach if this sort of thing is something you’re going to do.

England rushed, and my concern is they’ll do the same with boosters. Move the goal posts as to what is required to be fully vaccinated to take part in society, just as the younger folks catch up, again excluding them privileges and freedoms that older folks have enjoyed and will continue to be able to.

Ah right thanks, I didn’t read that convo properly!

Sorry but unless I’m mistaken the England rules come into place at the end of September and Scotland at the beginning of October.

It’s a matter of days difference, and all adults can currently get jabbed, which is why it was left until the end of September.

I don’t think there is much difference in what the Scottish are doing, they just announced it later.

2 Likes

My youngest family member back in Liverpool has only just been allowed to book their first jab this last week. Their second wont be until a month after this system has been in place.

1 Like

I don’t know the individual circumstances obviously but that doesn’t mean they weren’t able to be jabbed earlier. You need to leave a certain amount of time between jabs so you will be limited to when your second jab could be given.

Even in Scotland, if you get your first jab later than you were able to you will not be be getting into nightclubs at the beginning of October.

Honestly I struggle to see how Scotland have done any better here, it’s a few days difference and they announced it far later than in England.

I know plenty of people who changed their second jab date to be sooner knowing the announcement of changes in England which were given quite some time ago now.

1 Like

I don’t fully either, but as I understand it from what I’ve been told, they called up when vaccines opened up to their age group and were placed on a waiting list and told to wait to be contacted.

To put this into perspective, my age group was eligible for their second jab before my friends the same age as me were eligible for their first in England. That could just be a post code lottery, but we’ve been so ahead of schedule.

The standard wait between vaccines was also 8 weeks vs the original 12 in England.

Everyone in Scotland has been eligible for the vaccine for quite some time now too, though much like in England, not everyone who is eligible had been offered it until recently.

1 Like

I think that broadly speaking most people have had the ability to be fully jabbed by mid September, and these rules allow an additional week or two from there.

There will be individual circumstances yes, but we can’t make national decisions based on that.

It wasn’t rushed in England and broadly speaking Scotland haven’t done anything different to England. I don’t understand this constant comparison.

2 Likes

So after near enough 18 months, I’m returning to my secondary job now that furlough is coming to an end.

I’ll have to actually work for my money now :upside_down_face: can’t complain I’ve been on full pay with them throughout the entire period.

Will be a shock to the system seeing people again.

3 Likes

Scotland’s rule on large gatherings poses a bit of an anomaly too.
I’m sure I read or heard that it was for attendances of over 10,000.
So if the attendance is very close, but below that, would the vaxx pass be needed??? :thinking: