Core App: Better payments

This! So many times I’ve wanted to split a Join Account payment between my wife’s personal Monzo account and my own personal one. If I made the Joint payment, I can’t split it between my wife and me, so the budget categories all need manually readjusting. In the end, I just gave up.

1 Like

Never give up.

Joint accounts need the win.

Fight for Joint Account parity.

2 Likes

Not sure if this would come under your team but I suppose it is within the Payments tab so maybe. Reinstate Apple Pay inside Monzo.me - this was such a conviennent feature for receiving payments

7 Likes

One more thing… i think the accounts summary screen where you select if its personal or buisness and the amount page should be combined.

Reduce manual touchpoints and all that… could maybe even be a dropdown so that its hidden by default?
Makes little to no sense having to click ok everytime when these are details that dont change.

Already mentioned in the thread & voted:

• pot to pot transfer
  • improved payee management
  • assign transaction to pot

A variation of the last is to have regular online card payments, e.g. grocery boxes, to come out of a pot. It should be possible to match them based on the payee name. Pots won’t reach their full potential until this can be done.

Also when paying from a previous transaction the business/personal account choice is never remembered. It is remembered from the pay tab, but I don’t often use that.

Also the “know your payee” logic could help you when you have almost got the payee name right. Some people and organisations don’t know exactly what their bank account name is. It’s frustrating to be suggested a payee is dodgy when you are a few characters or contractions out, you don’t know the payees full name or they use a common variation. i.e. Mrs A Smith vs. Amy Smith, Liz vs. Elizabeth.

I think it’s been mentioned as well but you should be able to remove old payment references. For example the name of a dearly departed dog on vet payments, or numerical invoice numbers that always increment e.g. house contractors.

Aliases or nicknames would also be handy for regular payments to other banks. Things like mortgages, other bank accounts & credit cards. With the payee naming changes you can’t send payment to Mr & Mrs Smith Mortgage, and Mr Smith Gold Credit Card any more. The name of my mortgage account is so complex that Monzo can’t cope with it anyway and always tells me its dodgy. The removal out of this personal information is a real detriment to the experience.

Thanks

1 Like

I’ve thought of a useful feature for me.
I’ve just set up a repeating payment to start on the 1st and go for a few months to pay off a credit card bill. It would be great if I could assign this future repeating payment to a shared tab to automatically split :+1:

Hi all, thanks so much for all the feedback in this thread so far. I wanted to update you on our progress with this: We are starting to work on improved payee management first. I think this roughly aligns with a lot of your requests here, but is also something we’ve wanted to do for a long time. Improving payees in the app should not only bring them to feature-completeness but also serve as a good base for improving other payments flows afterwards, all of which tie into payees quite heavily. We’ll update you when we have more to share, and keep the feedback coming in the mean-time!

26 Likes

Thanks for the update Robin

That does sound like it would tackle off a lot of the main comments and suggestions

1 Like

Oooo, someone’s been taking lessons from @bruno. Glad we’re getting a good community involvement thread going in Making Monzo again.

11 Likes

robin and i were both in bruno’s squad previously. guess we did learn a few things! thanks @bruno :upside_down_face:

30 Likes

Just a UI thing but I’d like unpaid shared payments to be more visible. Maybe like a permanent notification marker on the homescreen while they are there. I’m always forgetting about them and then occasionally I take a look and realise I owe people money from way back when.

I think the whole tab could be redesigned to match the new UI (curved edges etc).
The payment flow when sending money redesign would be good with some animations.

Mainly for me it would be a case of editing, photos and payee management that is the stressful thing at the moment

love you miss you @kavi :kissing_heart:

19 Likes

My wife has now fallen foul of the “shared references” problem. Paid her credit card from her personal (not our joint) account, and the reference defaulted to my credit card number not hers. I now have a credit balance on my card, and she still has to pay her bill. And there’s no way to delete references. Please fix!

1 Like

So the reference was inherited from your individual account?

The problem seems to happen as follows.

1. I create a payee in my current account and enter my card number as the reference.
  2. Wife creates the same payee in her current account and enters her card number as the reference.
  3. Neither of us can see the other’s reference - each time either of us makes a payment from current account the reference defaults correctly.
  4. One of us makes a payment to the same payee from our joint account. Now both references are available in the other person’s personal account.
  5. The next time that person makes a payment from their current account, the default could be either reference, apparently at random.

Edited for a typo.

3 Likes

Not ‘liked’ per se. But thanks for explaining.

That’s quite a GDPR breach.

1 Like

I think so too. I told them that I am of the opinion that it’s a breach, and they told me that they disagree.

Edit: Their argument is that if I make the payment from out joint account my wife can see it anyway. But I still argue that when she is in her personal account that the reference for my account should not be available. And, as they know who is making each payment, then they should only provide default references originally entered by that person.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a GDPR breach. But I do think it’s another example of the awful payments / reference management system we have currently.

11 Likes

The ability for the app to withdraw money from one of my pots automatically when I spend at a certain retailer such as Tesco, as I only ever really purchase my food shop from there.

2 Likes