Constant issues with Monzo.me payments

I don’t get what you are trying to do then, if someone owes me money I got to request and just type in the amount as I did in the image above?

I didn’t get multiples of two so again not sure what screen you are talking about.

If I want to split I just press split and get this screen

IMG_E8178FD17054-1

Can’t you just use bill split rather than selecting the amount, or did you not pay with Monzo? I always just type the whole URL into a WhatsApp message - they are pretty simple to learn the syntax…

This is the screen they see. The first thing they did was to press the big blue + button and the increments went up in twos.

1 Like

When I push send money I get this screen with no Blue button

IMG_785B6643928A-1

That’s strange. Crux of it is, I’m not using Monzo.me again. Shame cos it seems cool

I had a problem a few days ago where a friend couldn’t pay me with my monzo.me link and google pay. They said there was a payment error, not sure if that was with monzo, google pay, or my friends (Santander, but not for long) account declining the transaction.

Just used PayPal in the end :frowning_face:

Anyone else had a similar problem?

1 Like

I think the issue is that you just sent them your ‘plain’ monzo.me link (e.g. monzo.me/paul). What would be better is for you to customise the amount before sending out the link, so that the page they get has the amount pre-filled. As @Rat_au_van notes, the UI for custom amounts is really poor as it’s non-obvious, so best not to leave it to chance. You can generate a URL with the custom amount from within the app (see Danny’s screenshot), or you can easily create it by putting it at the end of your Monzo.me URL:

monzo.me/paul/11.00
monzo.me/paul/10.55
etc…

[Note you can also customise the description/note from within the app, or by adding ?d=[description] at the end of the URL.]

2 Likes

Thanks Jolin, that’s super helpful to know. I’ve just messed about with it and it’s really good way of requesting money rather than the ‘plain’ version. I think Monzo need to choose one option to add the amount if the plain version is used though - save all this confusion

3 Likes

Just tried Monzo.me (with me paying someone else who’s not in my contacts list), and have to say it was a weirdly poor user experience.

Although better than other banks, I’m wondering why this can’t all be done through the app? I had to pay via Apple Pay (which it didn’t like when I tried to use my Amex lol), and then it comes up as a weird-looking transaction on the dashboard, at least weird compared to when it’s a Monzo contact.

Is there a way to improve this experience when Monzo users are paying someone via Monzo.me?

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that :frowning:

If you have the app installed, you should get redirected into the app to make the payment? Was that not the case?

With regards to Amex, I’m afraid we aren’t able to accept top ups/Monzo Me from credit cards :disappointed:

1 Like

Yeah, unfortunately not - was just having to use the browser. Could it have been the fact I had to type in the url, instead of clicking on the link (as the link was on my laptop screen)?

I gathered Amex wouldn’t work haha - but it added to the bad user experience as my Apple Pay immediately tried to pay via my Amex and declined, so didn’t get to try Monzo first.

Possible :thinking: Do other Monzo Me links work?

Ah right - sorry about that :sweat:

1 Like

Not sure - first time using Monzo.me with me paying (have done requests for payments no problem)

Don’t sweat it! :smiley:

1 Like

Ah right! Let us know if it continues to be an issue and we’ll look into it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So two friends tried paying me via HSBC and Nationwide and they both had issues with 3d secure. HSBC friend finally got it to work but the friend who has Nationwide had to just pay me via bank transfer. Any ideas why?

1 Like

@HughWells, can you check this out?

Sounds like an issue with the bank not approving the transaction / 3DSecure. You may be better off getting them to speak with their bank.

I’m sure Monzo can find out though. Maybe best to drop in app support a message? :slight_smile:

I have one friend who cant seem to use Monzo.me. He has tried several cards but they all show not accepted. The COps cant see anything their end. This has been going on about a year, but today he joined Monzo :wink:

Yeah, it’s strange. Monzo should really contact the major banks to get it accepted. I doubt anyone who you ask to use it would want to contact their bank to get it to work. Easier just to give them your Sort Code and Account number. I’ll contact in app as well.

the best solution is to get your friends onto Monzo :wink:

I think the issue lies with the other users banks as the post above also hints at

3 Likes