Commute - how far is too far

I was just wondering what peoples average daily commute is? I have always travelled less than 40 minutes to work but I’m considering moving further, up to a 1hr 15 minute drive for a much nicer house, near the coast and away from family. How far would you be willing to travel for the right house?

I currently travel about an hour in each direction but only do it a couple of times a week, this is about the limit for me personally

Mine is 20 minutes each way, so I’m fairly lucky.

I’d say anything under an hour each way is fine for me. I read a book so it’s no skin off my back.

1 Like

How do you find an hour? I was hoping it wouldnt be too bad… chance to listen to podcasts etc.

I would be strongly questioning a commute that’s reaching an hour. Your time is valuable. :cry:

1 Like

My commute to Monzo is an hour and a half to two hours.

2 Likes

I’m in London - about 40 mins is prob the max I’d do. I once did over an hour each way (from the Isle of Dogs to Hatton Cross/Heathrow) and while it was great for getting through my reading list, it drove me mad.

Current one is 25 mins max, usually a bit less if I’m lucky with my trains (I’m on the southern end of the northern line, I have to wait for a Charing Cross branch train or wait at Kennington) but feels just right, I can read a few chapters each way!

1 Like

I took the train for the first 2 days and gave up and have driven since. I listen to a combination of radio and podcasts! Usually radio in the morning and podcasts on way home

1 Like

:dizzy_face: Each way? That’s so much of your day!

1 Like

Yeah. I live in Essex and need to bus to station then get into London via train.
I am always tired.

That sucks! I commute to Edinburgh at most 3 times a week, the rest of the week I work in our Glasgow office and that’s the most I can handle!

1 Like

Yeah. Mon-friday £19.10 on train (student deal)
Awful if you have to stand.

2 Likes

Do you have the option of working remotely a couple days a week? Might be worth it for the extra hours in bed!

1 Like

I did yesterday and it was glorious. :hot_coral_heart:

3 Likes

I think it still might be worth it for the right house. An hour - an hour and 15. Although it might be worth fighting for a 4 day week and compressed hours maybe. I think spotify will be my best friend. Slightly wary of the increase in petrol costs too.

2 Likes

The most I’ve ever done is 1 hour in the morning and 2 hours home for about 5 months. I wouldn’t want much more than that.

I work in construction though so I need to travel to whatever project I’m working on (with periods in our head office) so my commutes have ranged from 15 mins to 4 hours each way (for places that far away we get accommodation so it’s only a 4 hour drive twice a week). The big plus for me is that most of our sites are in rural areas so I am driving along country roads for most of the time which is something I enjoy. Also have a company car so not worried about wear and tear or fuel costs.

1 Like

At the moment my commute is about 12 mins each way by car.

I think my cut off would be an hour each way, in the hope to move closer to where I work long term.

I suppose it depends how much you love your job and how many days you actually have to go into the office. If I was only in the office 1 or 2 days a week I wouldn’t mind traveling further.

Lots of things to factor in.

2 Likes

My drive to work is about 20 mins. My drive home is usually 50mins but can be up to 90 mins.

I hate the M60.

1 Like

Exact same here. I usually work 8-4, can sometimes leave the house at 6:30am and be in work before 7:30, other times only get in at 8. On way home it rarely takes more than an hour as I’m leaving before the mass rush out of Edinburgh.

Don’t forget the extra wear and tear too.

1 Like