Halifax are owned by Lloyds (as are Bank of Scotland) - so their app/features are virtually identical.
Are Monzo going to support cheque scanning for payment into accounts.
Most high street banks support this method via banking apps.
I don’t understand why this process is not yet supported with monzo.
I am sure this will have been brought up before.
Nope.
Is it most? Or some?
That’s correct - out of the “Big Four” banks which are Lloyds, NatWest, Barclays and HSBC (plus their subsidiaries) all of them support it.
That covers the vast majority of accounts.
Some additional banks also support it too so that indicates a clear majority.
Plus, a bank with no branches (so no easy traditional alternative cheque deposit method) would be expected to be more likely to support this feature than one with branches to fall back on - where customers arguably would “mind less” if they didn’t have digital features anyway, since they are probably more branch-reliant to begin with.
All of the “big four” - Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds, NatWest - do, along with the institutions within those banking groups (FD, Halifax, BoS, RBS).
Of the “household name” banks, Santander and Nationwide don’t, but do have branches, and allow Post Office deposit for where they don’t.
I think that if we step out of this fintech bubble, that actually covers a lot of banking users in the UK.
Snap! Haha.
Ah. That explains why I thought it was relatively rare. Outside of Monzo and Starling, those are the only two banks I use. So, for me, it’s one in four.
Ha! ![]()
I think the real issue for me is this.
Monzo doesn’t have cheque imaging - that’s fine in and of itself, but they really need a good integration with the PO to be taken seriously with the population at large, as opposed to the demographic who are likely to use Monzo anyway.
Their freepost solution is just not good enough.
Yes, as a quick refresher almost every bank that doesn’t have in-app cheque imaging support does allow deposits at the Post Office.
The only bank that doesn’t, as far as I’m aware and aside from Monzo, is Metro Bank - and they are tiny by customer numbers and are targeted around branch experience so arguably expect customers to bring their cheques in during their seven-day opening.
My list makes it look as though there are many banks not supporting the feature, but these are tiny banks by customer numbers and therefore it is clear that the vast majority of customers will have access to this feature, taking the market as a whole.
Banks supporting cheque imaging in-app include:
£5,000 limit per cheque
Coutts
£1,000 limit per cheque
Starling
Lloyds, Bank of Scotland & Halifax
Barclays
Virgin Money
£500 limit per cheque
HSBC & First Direct
RBS, NatWest, Ulster Bank, NatWest International & Isle of Man Bank
Banks not yet offering support:
Monzo (not currently planned, postal deposit is available)
TSB (claimed to be coming soon, posting a cheque is possible and Post Office deposit is available)
Santander (post is recommended instead or you can use the Post Office)
Nationwide (post is recommended instead)
Metro Bank (deposit in-branch only, it may be possible to post to their Head Office)
Co-operative Bank & Smile (post is recommended instead or you can use the Post Office)
Handelsbanken (deposits can be made by post or at the Post Office)
Danske Bank (deposits can be made at the Post Office)
Bank of Ireland (deposits can be made at the Post Office)
AIB (deposits can be made at the Post Office)
I received my first cheque in ages earlier this week. Scanned it in with Starling and then transferred it over. Would love to have just put it into Monzo direct but based on how much I would use it I’m not sure it’s worth the development!
Edit: Post 1000!
I had my first cheque query today in 8 months.
Could be business area (finhealth chats), but I’ve not come across any by memory other than today’s ![]()
Oh to be luxurious enough to have the problem of where to deposit that £5000 pound cheque.
I assume the help page refers to questions around how cheques are “imaged” in-branch and now clear more quickly than they used to in the old paper-clearing days?
After all, all cheques are “imaged” now!
I think you need a spare £1 million +
they have a help page on cheque imaging
That refers to the fact that cheques paid in to the branch or posted are now imaged and cleared that way once received (as indeed are all cheques for any bank) rather than the bits of paper being moved around the country.
That’s also the reason cheques clear next working day rather than the old 2-4-6 cheque clearing cycle.
Snap again, haha!
What is going on today with this thread?!
cheques are “imaged” in-branch
Snap!
Oh to be luxurious enough to have the problem of where to deposit that £5000 pound cheque
The answer (I know the question was rhetorical!) is as below: a Post Office, or any branch of NatWest, RBS, Ulster Bank or Coutts itself. So not too difficult, but minus a few points for no easy Freepost option.
Do I have to do it myself or can the staff do it for me?
Obviously, one cannot be expected to travel to one’s Post Office.
The staff visiting on your behalf is quite alright.