✅ Cheque Imaging 📱

Or “Anyone making the valid point that cheque deposit facilities with Monzo are unsatisfactory”?

I tend to agree that the thread needs to be closed - not because “use Starling” is a suitable resolution, but because the people on each side of this argument believe that the other side is missing the point.

(Whereas, of course, the only ones missing the point are those who say use another bank.) *

  • humour

If the Starling offering was equivalent to Monzo in other ways I’d move - but it isn’t. If I were Anne Boden I’d be looking at accounts with activity profiles like mine, and closing them.

5 Likes

I don’t see what the big deal is with keeping a secondary bank account open for rarely used functions like paying in cheques. I’ve literally been doing this for decades, my whole adult life. Well before Faster Payments, when it was a bit of a hassle. No bank ever offers every feature I need, so I go with the best for my main account and use one or two others to supplement.

5 Likes

I’m not sure what that has achieved but you seem to be out to get people who are just saying it how it is

Close the thread
Use any other bank that cares about cheques
Move on with life.

You will see me complaining above, but Monzo now have zero interest in implementing it, if you are still using monzo to cash cheques then that’s on you at this point.

2 Likes

Absolutely not - I wrote a semi humourous, semi serious post basically pointing out that we all have to agree to disagree. You seem intent on twisting that, and out to have a go at me.

I try to be constructive and play my part to make this community work. Seriously, it’s not often something on here really pi55es me off but you’ve managed it with that attack. Well done.

4 Likes

You know what people end up been like though :person_facepalming::rofl: anyways for everyone else still reading. It’s highly unlikely cheque imaging is coming any time soon, so move along open Starling and job be done.

1 Like

Whether it will or won’t happen, I still stand by my much earlier statement that such a fundamental aspect of a bank is the ability to easily pay in money ……. both cheques AND cash and my view will not change on this.

note: yes I also have a Starling account to cover this shortcoming.

4 Likes

Blame the businesses still using cheques, they need to get with the times.

If it’s people sending them, take some time to show them how to do it on a computer / phone / telephone.

2 Likes

It’s mainly DVLA and (ironically) banks I receive them from! Had a cheque from Amex just a week ago after they seemed not to be able to manage a bank transfer. Also received one for travel expenses for teaching on a course - however the big benefit for the organisers was it took them just a few minutes to write out the cheques for the 12 faculty, would have been a major pain if having to do 12 one-off bank transfers. This is where cheques still have some uses (as mentioned before also for refundable deposits and gifts sent by post). Of course I just took a photo with my Starling app and it was approved by the next day, so dead easy!

2 Likes

Not directly related to cheque imaging but a while ago, I had an interaction with an owner of a business.

Normally we paid in cash but we weren’t at home when they came to collect. I rang them up to pay via bank transfer and the owner said they only accepted cash or cheque.

I mentioned I couldn’t pay via cheque as my bank doesn’t give out cheque books and my other bank haven’t for nearly 10 years.

She didn’t understand why and wouldn’t allow me to pay via bank transfer as she didn’t do online banking.

She is in the older demographic, so take that as you will. Sure it could have been for tax reasons but she genuinely was shocked that people didn’t use cheques anymore.

6 Likes

Most likely as years ago cheques was extremely common and around here people even got wages by cheque and the local council would only accept cheque however as time moved on they’re uncommon now and I guess some people are still set in their ways.

4 Likes

Yeah I think people being ‘set in their ways’ is essentially the reason cheques aren’t dead.

2 Likes

I don’t. Cheques are a cheap, secure way of businesses paying people without the need to request, process, or store bank details.

8 Likes

Plus the fact that it is easier to write a cheque and be done with it than it is to ask for someone’s bank details, open a banking app, input the details (correctly), answer questions relating to scams and security, and press send.

All you need to know when paying someone by cheque is name and amount.

7 Likes

I think that’s true if you’re making a single payment vs repeat payments

1 Like

I just use Halifax for any cheques (rare these days) and transfer to monzo. Was surprised Halifax offered this ability before monzo though they normally just steal functionality from other sites

???

Cheque imaging is an industry standard, and almost certainly a kind of plug–and–play component in any banking app. Monzo has just decided not to fully join the scheme. Once signed up, it would be very easy to implement.

6 Likes

Sure. It’s about the only thing that Revolut doesn’t do better.

3 Likes

Sounds more dramatic when you can claim a bank is stealing ideas / technological advancements :joy:

7 Likes

I meant Halifax isn’t normally the market leader for new tech and waits until other banks adopt and then follow, the likes of notifications, etc.

Well if that’s your criteria, Monzo is hardly trailblazing. Loot was doing notifications before Monzo.

4 Likes